Squeegeeing alternative?

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Whitworks

Re: Squeegeeing alternative?

Post by Whitworks »

Just a reminder to be careful about your paper towel choice. The kitchen variety often have a quilting texture which can imprint on the FG and be difficult to remove when you tip off. The blue Shop Towels have no texture to speak of, they are thick which seems to even out the rolling pressure and provide good absorption of surplus resin. And I haven't had any problems with lint. FYI. I went through slightly more than one roll.

Regards to all

Mark
SevenTenths

Post by SevenTenths »

Thanks again Mark! I just laid down my skim coat and it revealed that I have a little touch up work to do before the lam. I should get the glass down in the next 2-3 days and I'll report back. I have to go to West Marine for primer tomorrow and I imagine they'll have the blue towels.

darren
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Mark,
What brand of epoxy are you using? I would think that the technique might be sensitive to the viscosity of the epoxy you use?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Whitworks

Post by Whitworks »

Hi Randy,

I'm using the Miapoxy 100 resin and 85 slow hardener. Not quite willing to give it an unqualified recommendation yet. The 'Sans Sqeegee' glass bedding layer went fine but the subsequent layers have been taking a long time to cure even though the leftover resin in the pot cured hard in a few hours.

Regards

Mark
SevenTenths

Post by SevenTenths »

Well, a busy week has kept me out of the shop but I'll be giving this technique a go soon using Resin Research epoxy (2000 w/ 2100 slow hardener)

Wish me luck,

Darren
Whitworks

Post by Whitworks »

Darren,
Very interested to know how it will work for you.
All the best.
Mark
SevenTenths

Post by SevenTenths »

Mark,
After a rather comedic attempt at rounding up blue shop towels (3 stores w/o stock) I went with the squeegee after all. I plan to start another build by the first of the year and will try this technique when the time comes. Thanks

Sinc.
Darren
John Messinger

Post by John Messinger »

I have used this technique twice now. Once to glass the inside of the hull of my Gillemot L, and once to glass the inside of the deck. Excellent results, and it saves the time and grief of trying to move the epoxy to the edge of the work field (shearline) all in a uniform manner.

I am using 4 oz cloth, USComposites "Thin Epoxy" and medium set time hardener, and the blue colored "ShopMax" paper towels.

Thank you for the thread. :applause
ROBERTO

Post by ROBERTO »

Has anyone used Whitworks paper towel method for applying an add on 4th coat after sanding a little too deep when removing epoxy defects? I'm not through the weave but the weave is certainly visible in a few spots. The visible white weave disappears when wet down with a damp cloth but I gather from what I've read it will be more visible after varnish & the sun catches it. Or maybe I'm being too perfectionistic & should accept what I have. The plan was to roll a thin coat of epoxy (mechanically bonded now) and hope it sets up nice and even so further sanding is kept to a minimum. Additionally, the photos that were posted have disappeared and would be helpful to have up again.