Launched Resolute today

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
doe4rae

Launched Resolute today

Post by doe4rae »

Just a quick note to say I put a new boat on the water today! This is my second stripper... the first boat was the Cottage Cruiser canoe and then I started the kayak, Resolute, in July of 2010. It has taken me longer to get this one completed -- probably because there are too many nice days to be out on the water when I could have been in the shop. I will try to post a picture here of the kayak and her maiden voyage today.
If the picture doesn't show, then here is a link to it in my online Picasa web album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1171458473 ... 3253606482

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C ... directlink
Dawne Olson

"The human soul needs actual beauty more than bread" ~DH Lawrence
doe4rae

Re: Launched Resolute today

Post by doe4rae »

Dawne Olson

wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

The smile on her face says it all. NICE JOB.

What was it's final weight? It is beautiful
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Very nice work - awesome!

Snowman
Snowman back East
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Looks great!
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

That looks very nice, good job.
-JIM-
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Bravo! She is a true beauty.
doe4rae

Post by doe4rae »

Thanks everyone.. it turned out pretty well but I had a few minor issues with it during the build. I had a hard time getting good clear boards of cedar. I kept the knots out of the design areas but the wood was really dry and brittle. Stuff just really wanted to keep splitting and breaking on me. Even my screws kept breaking off even though I used all the same procedures as I did with the canoe (waxing the screws etc). So I learned some new techniques for "fixing" problems as I went along. Anyway, it is done and I am glad! Next year I am not building ANYTHING so I can spend all year paddling. Two projects back to back like I did kind of seemed to make it drag out at the end.
Gary: I am not sure on the weight - I think that it feels heavier than the canoe and so does my husband. The canoe weight was right around 55-60 pounds. I have no trouble at all loading it on my car top myself. The kayak I haven't officially weighed and so maybe because I can't position it over my head to move it around like I do the canoe, that the distribution of weight just makes it seem heavier. I can carry it around I just can't get it on top of my vehicle by myself. I have J racks which require I load from the side. I think if I got a V rack with rollers on the back I could manage just fine.
Dawne Olson

Sherm

Post by Sherm »

WOW!...nice job...someday, after you used it awhile, I would
like to hear your thoughs "between" it and a canoe.
.....Looks like fun to paddle ....
doe4rae

Post by doe4rae »

I can say without a doubt that I enjoyed building the canoe more. I would always take the canoe over the kayak when I want to go out paddling but sometimes it is just not practical when I am on my own. South Dakota is a very windy state and I can cover a lot more distance more safely and comfortably in a kayak on those windy days. The kayak feels more stable to me but again, I am intending the two boats for two very different purposes of use. I like extended paddling trips -- canoe camping -- and so I default to the canoe for those types of excursions but now that I have built the kayak I am curious how much cargo I could take with me in it for the same type of trip. It feels a little cramped and my husband cannot fit his full 6'4 frame inside the cockpit -- but there is loads of space for gear behind and in front of me. Someday I may cut a hatch forward of the seat but I am going to play with it for a while and see if it is really necessary. At the moment I have left it open without a bulkhead (only one behind my seat and the rear hatch) and I have an inflatable flotation cone in the bow which leaves oodles of space for my drybag carrying camera, extra clothes, snacks :) and other miscellaneous items which I always take with in the canoe as well.
I have never needed a spray skirt on my other kayak and the cockpit opening is very generous on that one. For the Resolute, I can easily see myself getting wet. We went out on a totally windless day but I can tell that I am sitting lower in the water than what I am used to (with my plastic kayak) and I will catch some waves in a moderate wind -- I'm sure of it.
Dawne Olson

jimmar

Post by jimmar »

hi -

I built a Resolute a few years ago and I love it. You may be interested in these links that show how I used it on a solo paddling camping trip in Quetico.

http://jimmar.hubpages.com/hub/Solo-Kayak-Camping

http://www.divshare.com/download/13063581-e87

hope you enjoy your boat as much as I do mine!
doe4rae

Post by doe4rae »

Thanks for the links/pics/movie! Very nicely documented and organized. Beautiful kayak... I'm looking forward to more time in my mine next summer. Been hoping to go back to Quetico since 2006. Maybe this year :tu
Dawne Olson