Painting the outside hull

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jimmar

Painting the outside hull

Post by jimmar »

I am considering painting the outside of the hull white on the next boat (Freedom 17) I have started planning. Is it necessary to use Marine bottom paint or are there lower cost alternatives that other builders have used?

Also, I was thinking I could apply the paint on top of two coats of epoxy as the finish coat. So I am curious about how to apply, before the epoxy is thoughly cured or after.
Glen Smith

Re: Painting the outside hull

Post by Glen Smith »

I have never used it but have seen a few canoes with this paint on them and they looked great. It is Epifanes Topside Finish. They have some tips on their website: http://www.epifanes.com/home.htm
You don't need a bottom paint since the canoe won't be in the water for extended periods of time.
Not sure if you should go with 2 or 3 epoxy coats though. You will want a smooth surface for sure so you might need 3 coats.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

ideally you'd want to have the epoxy cured before painting. it's pretty well much the same prep as you would use for varnish. originally i was planning to spray automotive clear coat on my hull, but the manufacturer of the epoxy system i'm using also make a variety of water based urathane marine paints, which includes a clear. it's called aqua cote, but i don't know if it's available where you are.

http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php? ... th=174_175
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

You will definitely want the epoxy to be fully cured. Most marine paints go on best to a sanded surface with a primer undercoat. The manufature will give you details on prep for a specified surface. I use Brightsides paint with PreKote base when painting unless the customer wants a more durable paint in which I use Perfection two part with a different two part undercoating. The undercoating is nice as it is sandable as well to get a nice smooth sruface. High gloss marine paints will show every flaw.