Help with webbed seats

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
TampaMark

Help with webbed seats

Post by TampaMark »

Hey all,

Last summer I began my first canoe, a 15' Hiawatha, and am in the final stages of completion. I have been stalking this forum since then and have gained valuable information throughout my building process. Incidentally, my search for answers usually produced additional questions that I hadn't thought about asking, which helped me avoid problems that would have arisen. Needless to say, this site saved my butt on numerous occasions. So a major thank you to all the contributors.

So here is my question. I am finishing my seat webbing (cane seats might be down the road, along with some original paddles) later today using 1-inch polypropylene webbing. I am stapling the webbing into the maple frame that I made for the seats. My concern is that the exposed staples will probably rust over time. I am wondering the best way to protect the staples to avoid the rusting.

This was the first question that I had that I couldn't find an answer to on the forum. Amazing, considering the number of questions that I had along the way :wink
Glen Smith

Re: Help with webbed seats

Post by Glen Smith »

Have you looked into using Stainless Steel Staples?
TampaMark

Post by TampaMark »

Too late for that at this point. I guess I could go and pull the off-the-shelf staples that I have already used and replace them with stainless steel.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I believe another method is to use stainless wood screws with cup washers inserted through holes melted through the webbing. The melted material reinforces the webbing so it won't tear at the holes.
I believe one or more of our members have used webbing and might have some knowledgeable advice for you.
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

My temporary webbed seats have lasted almost 40 years so far. I didn't use stainless, but I think I used screws rather than staples. I will need to replace them soon, but it's the webbing itself that's deteriorating.
Alan
Stencil

Post by Stencil »

I used webbing on my seats. I tried screws and cup washers and they worked OK but when it came time to re-stretch the webbing ( it bags slightly after a couple years) I used stainless steel staples. I just finished re-working a seat in another boat changing it from cane to webbing. I prefer the webbing as it can be easily tightened and stands up to the hard use I put my boats through. Be sure and use a good quality webbing. You don't want cotton or stretchy nylon.