Minor Freedom 17'9" update

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Kermit

Minor Freedom 17'9" update

Post by Kermit »

Finally got my station molds traced. A lot harder than I thought with two little munchkins swarming around my ankles. Inner stems have been cut, just waiting for a little stretch of warm weather (-10 to 0) to attack the outer stems and start ripping strips from my basswood and cedar. The next batch (read: a month or so) of evenings will be spent cutting out the molds.

Slowly but surely.

Cheers,

Chris
Karl Huebner

Re: Minor Freedom 17'9" update

Post by Karl Huebner »

Well, I just checked the temperature in Ottawa. I should be able to smell the sawdust down here!

Karl
Please post pictures of your build....
Karl
16' Prospector style canoe
17' BMB Freedom 17
17' BMB Endeavour
14' plastic kayak
14' McCarthy style Wee Lassie II
1 Thomas Hill lapstrake Daisy May canoe
Coming Soon Freedom 16.2 solo
To be repaired
1923 St. Charles River
1967 Langford
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Was able to rip outer stems, and basswood last week. This week, am either going to plane the basswood, or rip the 20ft cedar. Temperature-wise I have no concern. Its the scattered snow flurries that dampen my enthusiasm. Will try to take some picks of my progress, but we have all seen bundles of strips before. :safety glasses
sel4sel4

Post by sel4sel4 »

Hi Kermit,

I still have my station molds from my build.

If you want them you can have them.
Also, you would get a chance to look at a finished freedom 17 9.

Anyway, if you are interested, feel free to email me at sel4sel4@gmail.com.
Also if you have any questions about the build I would be happy to help.

I am located in Gatineau.

cheers

for pictures look here:
http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpBB3 ... 487#p21733
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. - Scott Adams

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/ ... 20prjoect/
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Thanks for the offer sel4sel4. Will contact you via email.

Unfortunately not a lot of work to update. Where as temperature has be perfect. Its been WET. Been slowing roughing out my forms.

Cheers,

Kermit
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

i know the feeling all too well kermit. my build is out doors, so the weather plays a big part in productivity. we had rain for 2 weeks at one stage, which didn't do me any favours.even worse when the tarp that's been fine for months starts to leak and you find your hull has gone rubbery.

hope you get the good weather soon!
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Gah, over a year since my last update.... :crying

two ankle biters are even worse than I ever thought... That and a lovely wife who likes to schedule on the weekends.... :sealed lips

Update: (pics to follow)

WRC strips are all ready for routing;

Borrowed from John Michne, and have created a scarfing sled to scarf together my basswood strips;

stern and bow molds completed, remaining molds need to be cleaned up, taking the next few week evenings to accomplish this;

stern stems have been soaked, steamed, and bent;

Strongback ply has been purchased and cut, waiting to clear out some space to commence assembly.

Cheers, and here to hearing more from me on a more regular basis.....

Chris :safety glasses
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

At least there is progress, Chris. That is better than giving up.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Another Month another update:

Strong back sections assembled.

Stems bent and bonded... need to clean up a bit of the glue, mark the centre on the inners and do the prep trim.

Scarfed 18 20' bass wood strips for the sheer line accent and alternating football. Will probable to another 6-8 for safety sake.

Next step is waiting for a dry weekend (Ottawa has yet to have a suitably dry weekend) and bead and cove all my strips.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I can so relate to how much work the prep is, I completed my strongback (except for final alignment) and used that as the infeed table to the router, it worked really well (actually used it as infeed to the saw for the strips as well).
Just a thought that may be of use.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Cruise,

I also am using my strongback, but for one of my scarfing tables.

Looks like I might be able to run the router on Sunday.... only 30% chance of rain this time. :crying

Cheers,

Chris
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

2nd attempt at a photo update; :crying

Finally was able to run all 2100 feet of strips through the first run of the router, here is the last strip going through;

Here is a end shot of the last few bundles of strips, there is a slight offset to the bead on the last few inches of the strips due to my setup, but the vast majority of the strips are perfect;

And here is my router setup;

Here's to hoping that I can get to some real work in a few weeks, (if I can get a good weekend in this coming weekend)

Cheers,

Chris
Last edited by Kermit on Mon May 26, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Nice !
The only thing different that I do, is That I run the strips BETWEEN the bit and the fence.
This way, if you have any difference in the strip in width. they will all come out the same.

Several of the planks I've purchased varied in thickness, say 5/8" to 11/16", and more.

I set my router to the thinnest planks strips. Then all the strips come out uniform. Running soft cedar this way does not create any binding issues, hardwood probably would.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Man, I really haven't updated the update recently... :sad

The temperatures have finally started to cooperate with my glue, and I re-started stripping the beast 3 weeks ago. I have passed the bilge turns, and have finally gotten to a point were I am comfortable approaching the keel-line from one side (wanted to get the complex curves out of the way and even first). Changed my approach to holding the strips down, I started using ratchet clamps. The strips are now super tight to the forms. I worry a little about bruising the underside, but I am willing to pay that price for a nice fit.

Here is where I was 3 weeks ago;

During the Victoria Day long weekend, I was able to get a bit more done;

And, this is where I left off last night, just getting ready to start on the right hand side tonight;

Here is my little helper, he's definitely looking forward to having this done this year... so's his Mom.. :tu ;

I'm going to go through my photo history, and see if I can't upload some older photos.

EDIT: Now with real, viewable photos.... :applause

Cheers,

Chris :dancing
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Great post Kermit !
Looking forward to more !
I see you have a little Tadpole to share the building with ! I have fond memories of building with my youngest son. Great bonding time !

Jim
Last edited by Jim Dodd on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!