inwale and deck material question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
anthony karakas

inwale and deck material question

Post by anthony karakas »

Hello,

Does anyone not recommend using clear select pine for inwales and decks? I am looking for a lighter colored wood (other than ash) to contrast with my cherry outwales.

Thanks,

Anthony
BearLeeAlive

Re: inwale and deck material question

Post by BearLeeAlive »

I don't think I would use pine for your intended uses. It is very soft, almost as soft as cedar, and without a layer of glassing would be prone to suffering lots of dings and dents. This damage, though minor, would also affect the finish and waterproofing, necessitating lots of maintenance.

Another choice would be maple, though don't think it would be the best bet for the inwale. I used cherry for the stems, and will use it for the gunwales too, and have bought some nicely figured maple to use for the decks, thwarts and seats.

Even cherry, being a hardwood, is not as tough as ash, oak, or maple, and will show bruises with rough use. Though, nothing as severe as pine would.

Of course, all this is just my opinion, and would like to hear what others say. I have lots of experience with all kinds of woods, just not so much with boat building.
Last edited by BearLeeAlive on Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JIM-
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

I searched the pile at the lumber dealer and found some very light ash boards. Pine is too soft and I'd worry about it cracking if you bend it.
anthony karakas

Thanks for the sage advice my friends;

One last question: Does anyone have any advice for using douglas fir for gunwales and decks?
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

Its hardness is only 660. Check out Wikipedia to see where it compares http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

Ash is 1320 for comparison.
DSJ

Post by DSJ »

I wouldn't use white pine, but red pine or jackpine would probably work well

I've used red pine as flooring and made a paddle out of a leftover piece. it's reasonably light and very hard
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

If you want a lightweight, light colored wood, try spruce. Sitka spruce used to be the recommendation, but is harder to find. I have a canoe with spruce decks, seats, and gunwales. I think one outwale needs attention, but the boat is almost 40 years old now.
Alan
anthony karakas

Thanks for all the ideas; i ended up going with ash, mainly because (right or wrong) i started thinking about when i hang the seat from the inwales, ash would be the sturdier wood. I had visions of the pine or spruce breaking if i sat down abruptly on the seat. However i do lament the extra weight i just added!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

It's probably too late now but you could (next time?) consider building with a single uni-wale (1 piece of wood which "straddles" the hull edge rather than a separate inwale and outwale. Half the weight.

Or just make the inwale and outwale out of thinner material. For a craft like the Freedom Solo (if that's what you're building), that shoulder chine adds lots of strength to the structure and lighter gunwales are easily supported.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com