Putting a name on the hull after glassing

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
KARKAUAI

Putting a name on the hull after glassing

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, all,
I'm finally getting to the decks on my Hawaiian sailing outrigger, and am thinking that I'd like to put the name of my canoe on the topsides up by the bow. I'm wondering if I can still do the "decal" method on the outside of the glass, with epoxy over the decal, then varnish over all. I've already tried Glen's trick using Saran Wrap to feather the edges of a place I had to add more epoxy, and I think I can make the edges of the new epoxy look fine. Anybody see any problem with doing it like that? Or would I be better off painting it on the outside of the current glass/epoxy, then varnishing over everything?
Mahalo,
Kent
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Having the decal on top of the glass will mean having to be extra careful not to sand into the decal when it comes time to sand the epoxy in preparation for varnishing and during any future revarnishing jobs. It will also leave a more pronounced ridge but you won't notice that after the first paddle. What name have you chosen?
Todd Bradshaw

Post by Todd Bradshaw »

Remember that most varnish turns a lot yellower than you might think in time - especially over white paint. Don't ask ne how I know this (though it's 22' long with 48" high, white ends, 27 years old and sitting on sawhorses in my back yard...). So be careful varnishing over light colors.

How did the building process go? I'm leaning toward building an Ulua this summer if I get time.
KARKAUAI

Ulua name and construction process

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Glenn and Todd. Mahalo for your replies. I think I go ahead and try adding my decal over the glass, in black. The name is "Kalakupua", Glenn. It means "Magic". The construction process has been fairly straightforeward, considering it's my first attempt at building a canoe, Todd. Everytime I start a new part of the project I stand around scratching my head, but once I get started it seems to go as planned. Gary Dierking's been great about answering my questions in a timely fashion. He's come up with plans for a kickup rudder since I got my plans. I haven't started on the sailing rig, but hope that Nick Beck will modify one of his Quick Rig's for me. Not traditional, but goes upwind pretty well compared to a crabclaw. I'll probably build a crabclaw rig eventually, just for tradition's sake. The manu and splash guard are of my own design, so they may not go as smoothly as what I've done so far. I'm starting on the decks now, so we'll see. I took your advice and added a rubrail with holes for lacing below the gunwales...looks pretty nice. I added backing supports under the decks for screws, and the seat supports are at the same level. I used them for more screws to add support in the middle of the hull, hoping the epoxy will be enough over the rest of the hull. I PROMISE I'll post some pics when I'm done, but that'll take some more standing around scratching my head about setting up a website. So much to do, so little time. A hui ho, Kent
Bernie in Illinois

Putting a name on the Hull

Post by Bernie in Illinois »

Hi, Karkauai. I really like the name you chose for your boat. Not knowing Hawaiian, is there a translation for the word "flyer" , or something relating to flight.
KARKAUAI

Canoe name

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Bernie,
The only Hawaiian word I know off-hand that's related to flight is "manu", which means "bird". It's the word used for the raised ornamental pieces at the stems of a canoe. I'll see if I can find a word for flight...if I find something I'll post it.
Kent
Bernie in Illinois

Post by Bernie in Illinois »

Hi, and thanks very much Kent. Now you really got me thinking about naming my project; a Redbird. Manu sounds good. An indian or french translation might be nice too. I should do research into Illinois tribes and their languages. Although, it is doubtful that indian will translate easily. I speak french fluently so that is not a problem. Redbird would be "Oiseau Rouge"
Happy building!