Choice of wood species

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
hags

Choice of wood species

Post by hags »

I have never built a strip canoe. Have not decided on a design. But as I continue to research this I am able to get enough redwood to get the job done. Has anyone ever used redwood for a strip canoe ? I'm not sure of it's specific weight. What advantages or disadvantages might there be in using redwood for a canoe ?
Thanks for any help on this.

Hags
Patricks Dad

Re: Choice of wood species

Post by Patricks Dad »

Welcome to the forum.
There have been a few guys on this forum who have built canoes out of redwood.

It's a bit heavier than Western Red Cedar (the most common wood used) but not a great deal heavier (28 lb/ft^3 vs 23 lb/ft^3 assuming American redwood). It is a bit more brittle but usable nonetheless.
Here's a table to browse:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood- ... -d_40.html

Best of luck on your build.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
hags

Post by hags »

Thanks PD I appreciate it. I spoke briefly with Joan a few days ago regarding a boat design. I am quite smitten with the appearance of the Champlain. She advised me about the tippyness of that design and suggested the ranger. My question is would I be better advised to modify the bow design of the ranger to obtain the appearance I would like or to modify the hull and body of the Champlain to make it more stable in the water ? Thanks
Hags
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If this will be your first build, making modifications may not be the best thing to do. I suggest you choose a design for its comfort, capacity and performance rather than by the looks.