New Solo Canoe - Freedom 15'3" and 16'2"

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Patricks Dad

Re: New Solo Canoe - Freedom 15'3" and 16'2"

Post by Patricks Dad »

I believe I started with the strip below (toward the sheer) the chine. I clamped it in place and then glued the narrow strip to that. Before that, I did double check to make sure that the flat spot on the chine was the correct width to match that narrow strip. Once the narrow strip was glued to the lower strip, I added the strip on the other side (toward the centerline) and worked my way up to close the hull. Once the hull was closed, I worked my way from the chine down to the sheer.

On the long cable ties to hold the strips to the hull, I believe they were screwed to the bottom edge of the forms on each side (two cable ties - male end of one and the female end of the other screwed to the form allowing a mating pair at the center of the hull). I don't think I used the on every station. Just where I thought I needed it. It worked great. The were releasable so I could undo them to put on each subsequent strip.

I did use a 1/4" dowel in the cove of the strip (I build cove up). This allowed me to use strapping tape every 6" to hold the strips in place while the glue sets. You can put tremendous pressure on the joint with strapping tape as well as accurately control the angle between strips as you go around the forms.

Feel free to give me a call if you have on-the-fly questions (cellphone in signature block below).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Following up on your questions (I think I mis-interpreted one of them). You asked if I used a dowel at the keel (perhaps to protect the cove edge of the latest strip installed). That is just a batten (a piece of cedar stripping) that is used to ensure a 12" separation between the station forms. It's stapled to each form. As the stripping gets to the keel line, I shorten the batten a foot at a time.

But, I did also ensure that there was always a dowel in the cove of the strip at the station mold (and between them) to protect the cove from the cable ties
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I took a second look at the picture, I think it was just the size, made it appear that there was a dowel at the keel line, but it isn't really.

I finished lining up the first strips on either side, what a lot of fiddling, but done and looks good. I then took a very deep breath and started carving the stems for the first few planks. First really non reversible step, what a pleasant surprise .... it worked out really easy. Spoke shave was very easy to use, I guess it pays to buy better stuff .... but the real star was the sanding stick I made ( I copied from J. Michne site). It just made the whole job simple.

Tomorrow, I pick up cable ties, packing tape, take another deep breath and glue the first strips in.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Trimmed the first strip and actually glued the first strip in place. I didn't get ambitious, simply because I wanted to get used to the tape and cable ties. What a pleasant surprise, it worked really well and I am now set to go all out on the planking, I think the chine part is the only really tough spot.

Thanks again Randy, you are giving a lot of very good ideas and making me look really good.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Well, the chine didn't defeat me, it is complete, i am happy with the results and have started installing regular strips towards the keel.

I really like the tape approach, but decided to try the stretchy plastic film they sell to do pallet wrapping. There was a roll left over from my speaker project (it makes a good wood clamp). It also works really well and applies more and even pressure I think ... doesn't seem to be any more work either.

I am hoping to make a good dent in the stripping this weekend.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

It's amazing how time slips by when you stripping ... the canoe. This is my progress to date, it is actually recognizable as a canoe now.

Hopefully, I got the picture load correct.

Cheers
Brian
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Looks great Brian ! Isn't that a good feeling?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Awesome progress!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Coming up on the transition from vertical to horizontal on the bow and stern stems, have a few butterflies about that, but it has gone so well, so far, I just have to have faith I guess.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Keep the faith (and your Michne stick!)
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Things are moving along, I cut the centre line on the weekend and started laying the final strips. Since I included an accent strip, I am going slowly to "adjust" the fall of strips , so that the accents line up perfectly. It took a little figuring to come up with a smooth way of adjusting the first few strips to get everything to fit correctly, now that they line up at the start, all the following should be easy (well, easier at least).

I still marvel at how straight the centre line is and I used a chisel and .... the Michne stick ... likely the most useful tool so far.

I am thinking ahead now to seats and such ... there are a few references to moveable seats in this threat, Bosco had one, but that link is broke. Randy, you said yours has 2 settings, but I couldn't see how you did it. I am looking for either a couple of setting or something fully adjustable. I could just slide my pack around I guess, but I like the idea of being able to trim by the seating position as well. I know that I will likely have the seat lower down to give me better stability as well.

Any links or thoughts would be appreciated.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

My Freedom Solo seats are adjustable in 2 positions as you noted. They are mounted using brass threaded inserts. I have 2 sets (4 per set) installed in under the flanged uni-wale so the seat can be installed in either the forward position (when I have no gear) or in the back position (about 3 inches back) when I have a pack full of gear in front of me. The threaded inserts I used are shown here:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... te=ROCKLER

The holes that the inserts are screwed into are fully saturated with epoxy to ensure no issues with water intrusion.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Just finished another milestone, bottom is closed ... tomorrow I will remove all the clamps on the bottom and start putting on the last few planks to the sheer line.

Once those are on, I will likely design and build a set of wheels to attach to the strong back, so I can do the sanding in the driveway ... that should save a lot dust in the shop.

Still hoping I may make the water this year ... although it may be pretty cold.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Guess a pic would be better

Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Looks good! You're moving pretty fast!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com