Interior Hull filled with water before fiberglass

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
alanbradshaw64

Interior Hull filled with water before fiberglass

Post by alanbradshaw64 »

Canoe small file.jpg
I had glassed the exterior of my Freedom Canoe and had turned it over. I left it for a while and we had alot of snow and rain and the roof leaked inside the hull before I had fiberglassed it. I did not notice it until a few week later and it expanded and then dried.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanbradshaw64

Re: Interior Hull filled with water before fiberglass

Post by alanbradshaw64 »

I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on how I can repair this problem. Thank you. :thinking
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

It is not easy to see the extent of the damage with such small pics. Please post some larger ones.
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

Ouch. Swelling of the wood causes the hull to buckle, since the glass does not. Heating the wood to dry it thoroughly might shrink it enough to minimize the problem. A bright incandescent lamp may be enough.

That happened to me a long time ago (1972?) and I dealt with it simply by glassing the inside and leaving the wrinkles. While it was painful for me to look at for decades, almost nobody else noticed the damage, and the canoe handles beautifully.
Alan