Flooring Layout ???

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
cbdeajr

Flooring Layout ???

Post by cbdeajr »

I am looking to build my first strip canoe and have been looking at a lot of plans. However I like the type of flooring in a Morley canoe (more plank like) and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to get information on this type of construction & plans.
Thanks,
Cecil
Glen Smith

Re: Flooring Layout ???

Post by Glen Smith »

If I correctly understand, it is easy to achieve what you want. Strip the sides up until the stems are almost covered. Then you place one strip on either side of the hull bottom centerline, bevelled to fit well together and glued to the inner stems. Then you fill in by adding strips parallel to the centerline until the bottom is covered.
With the last strip you used for the sides, I cut off the bead or cove so the bottom strips butt up against a plain surface.

Does this sound like what you want?
Attachments
Picture 064.jpg
cbdeajr

Post by cbdeajr »

Yes that is the design I would like to build. I did talk with Steve Morley and he said that they start with the bottom first and then work down the sides. He also said that with this being my first that I should use CanoeCraft as a guild and follow it. He said mixing ways to build normal end in problems and that I should follow the book on my first one. He did not know about any guide books that did it their way. The more I study the less I know. LOL
Cecil
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Well, that is probably good advice. I followed Ted Moore's methods on my first few boats before I started "experimenting".
cbdeajr

Post by cbdeajr »

I know but I sure do like the looks of the floor in your & theirs. Would like to find a book on out to build them.
Thanks for the information.
Cecil
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Do a search on Amazon for "David Hazen". He has a book on strip building where he starts by making the "football". It might not be very useful though as there really aren't many instructions concerning that part of the build.