Noticing and Recognizing Two Different Things...

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Kermit

Noticing and Recognizing Two Different Things...

Post by Kermit »

:thinking

So when I started my stripping this summer, I NOTICED that my inner stem was slightly elevated from the adjacent form mold. Unfortunately, after stripping right up to the bilge, I have just RECOGNIZED that this is a much more serious issue that I thought initially.

As I am planning to close off both bow and stern deck sections for accessible storage using circular access ports (seen a few images on the forum), I think my two best options are as follows;

1. Trim the inner stem down to the form and continue on (any variance with the outer stem should be enclosed under the deck)

2. lift the strips off the last form and attach to inner stem as if it were flush.

If there are any better / easier ideas please abuse me with such.

Thanks,

Chris (AKA Confused in Ottawa)
Rod Tait

Re: Noticing and Recognizing Two Different Things...

Post by Rod Tait »

I would shave down the stem so that the strips lay flat. Bulging strips will be much more evident and when it comes time to attach outer stem, your mortise may go a bit deeper but not likely a problem. And with a bulkhead, all will be hidden from view.