New (old) Project

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sedges

sounds good

Post by sedges »

I didn't realize that those rear seats were fastened that way. That will indeed help keep the transom connected. I also thought the cap knees were plywood. Cast aluminum would be sturdy for sure. Probably something that was added to this model as outboards got bigger and heavier.

I actually worry about transoms on a trailer with a motor mounted as much as in the water.

I admire your creativity in rebuilding this boat. Using modern materials to actually improve the structure.
Patricks Dad

Re: New (old) Project

Post by Patricks Dad »

I finally got through the sanding phase for the inside of this boat last week (I'm really tired of sanding). Cleaned the shop and let the remaining dust settle for a few days. Vacuumed the inside of the hull one last time this morning and started varnishing. I hope to get one coat on every day and be done varnishing the inside (and outside above the rub-rail) by Tuesday (just in time to leave for a week of wilderness paddling!).

Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

My hat's off to you Randy ! Nice work !

I'm about ready to dive into sanding the inside of a stripper tomorrow, and was wondering what sander you use ?

I just picked up a Bosch 5" variable. It will dial down to almost still.

I like that.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

OH ! have fun paddlin !
You deserve it !

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Jim, I use a 5" Porter Cable ROS for anything I can use it for. It's about 10 years old and I've repaired it a couple times. One side of the housing is broken out (thanks to a 20' drop I subjected it to while sanding a timber frame house). That broken out area actually comes in handy lots of times. I have a vacuum hose hooked to my shop vac to keep the dust down. If you hold it at just the right angle you can get the edge of the pad to conform to the shape of the inside of the hull. I use a soft pad under the sanding disk and it makes pretty quick work on an open hull.

If however, your question was how did I sand this boat with all those ribs, that's a completely different deal. I used one of these for most of the surfaces:

But to get close in to the joint between the rib and the hull, I needed something finer. So I went over each side of each rib with these:

A first pass with the brass-wire brush (I tried 3 different diameters to get the right level of flex in the brush). Then I went over it with the small wire brush I found in the welding section of the hardware store.. Finally, I went over it with some fairly coarse steel wool.

took forever.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I too have an old PC 5" variable ROS.
I just replaced the pad, as the old one no longer held hook and loop paper.

I'm impressed with your ingenuity ! Is that blue, a commercial sanding attachment ?

Cool ! Thanks !

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Yeah those pads do wear out. I've been through a few of them too.

The blue sanding thingy on my drill was purchased at Woodcraft (looked on their website for a link and didn't find one exactly like it but found this one which is similar:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200026 ... -Grit.aspx

Mine came with lots of the sanding strips and you can build up as many as you want to control the width of the sander. With it filled up, it might do a pretty good job sanding the inside of a canoe....
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Thanks Randy !

I just stepped in from sanding the inside of #20. I'm calling it done, and tomorrow comes glass.

That sanding thingy is going on my wish list. I wonder if a guy could make one up using old belt sanding belts, cut into strips. Interesting !

Thanks again ! I really enjoy your progress reports !

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

After a marvelous week of paddling in the Boundary Waters of northern MN, I spent the day today installing seats and hardware on the inside of my boat. It's now ready to flip over so I can start finish work on the outside.

Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I have to say Beautiful !
Love seeing your boat come together !

Jim
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

That is looking fantastic, Rand. Makes me want to go for a ride. :)
-JIM-
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

After taking about a month off on this project, I finally got it flipped over, sanded out and a couple coats of primer rolled on.

Three finish coats and she'll be done (but probably won't make it in the water this year (I still need to find a trailer).

Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Purely AWESOME !
Please post the Christening !

Jim

J
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Today I put the last coat of paint on the bottom of my boat. It's exactly 10 months since I dragged this thing home. Here's a couple pics. It will sit for a couple weeks to cure. It may or may not make it into the water before things freeze up... Still need to find a trailer, a couple oars (and maybe a motor).

Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Wow, she looks great, Randy !