Redbird Outer Stems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Redbird Outer Stems

Post by WMegl »

I'm at the point on my Redbird of attaching the outer stems. Could someone provide a little more clarification on exactly how the end of the outer stem interfaces with the strips at the bottom of the boat? I am not using a keel. Pictures would be great.

Thanks.
First Timer
Patricks Dad

Re: Redbird Outer Stems

Post by Patricks Dad »

By "end of the outer stem" do you mean the actual "end of it" as in the surface that faces the other end of the boat? That "end" is simply joined with a butt joint with the end of the strips exposed by cutting the pocket for the outer stem.

A few pictures can be found of the process here:

http://bearmountainboats.com/phpBB3/vie ... %3B#p26533

Call me if that doesn't help.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

here's one more thread on the subject.

http://bearmountainboats.com/phpBB3/vie ... all#p24395
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I had the same question not long ago and Randy's post/links cleared it up for me, it's one of those items that you almost have to see, not read.

I took a couple of photo's to keep it clear for me:

Initial clearing of the channel looked like this, ignore the extra line outside the channel part, that was just the full stem outline that I hadn't sanded out yet.

This one is the cleared, fitted channel, getting initial coats of epoxy to saturate the end grains.

And finally the basket weaving project to hold the stem in place.

Pictures are always good IMO, always something to see or pickup from how other people do things.

Brian
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Thanks to all for your help. It is clear to me now.
Excellent photo's.
First Timer
matt amburgey

Post by matt amburgey »

hi and thank you this site has gotten me throurgh years of trials about building my redbird and alot or trials during my health started building in dec 2007. and just now have bent my oute.r stems i choose to take 4/4 ash 2"wide and steam bend a one pcs tapered stem from 3/4 down to 3/8". have left them clamped up utill epoxey will arrives then will split them to make 2. i will be having alot of questions about glassing and epoxy .nice to meet every one and thanks for the positive site it has gotten me thruogh many long nights .p. s. hate puters. lol