Thanks Glen

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Patricks Dad

Thanks Glen

Post by Patricks Dad »

You may have noticed a subtle change on the BMB forum recently. Over many years, Glen has been the primary admin on this forum. He has tirelessly worked to manage accounts as new members joined the group as well as worked to ensure that inappropriate members didn't join the group (spammers, aluminum power boat guys, etc. :laughing). When someone had an admin problem, Glen was always there to help.

In addition to his admin responsibilities, Glen has also consistently dispensed invaluable advice to builders learning their craft. I have personally benefited from Glen's advice on many many occasions. With almost 3700 posts on the forum, Glen has single-handedly produced over 14% of the forum content. An amazing contribution that continues to this day.

Glen has recently requested to no longer be an admin for the forum although he continues to respond to questions and make comments on the forum.

I'd like to acknowledge Glen's deep and long contributions to this forum. Without his presence and constant vigilance over many years, this forum simply would not exist.

Thank you Glen. We all owe you a great debt. :tu :applause
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Re: Thanks Glen

Post by Glen Smith »

Thank you Randy, it has been a pleasure working with so many people from all walks of life and from so many different countries. I have always enjoyed helping others so I was just doing what came naturally. Of course I wouldn't have the necessary knowledge to offer assistance if I had never bought Canoecraft and hadn't joined this Forum as it was several years ago.

Randy, I hope you enjoy this Forum as much as I have (and still do) and I hope Joan and Ted are always there for canoe and kayak building enthusiasts around the world.

I have met many friendly and charitable people through this Forum and the Bear Mountain Rendezvous and I will always have fond memories to accompany me.

Randy is now the site Admin so if you run into difficulties with the Forum you know who to contact now. :wink
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Glen, thanks for all your input, both behind the scenes, and with contributions to the members questions. You are a valuable resource.

And congrats to Randy, not a more deserving member to carry on the reins as the new Chief Admin. Your input too has been very valuable.
-JIM-
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I can say that this website, in the hands of Glenn , has been great ! Glenn has provided so much help to everyone, including me ! I'm deeply in your debt !
Keep slipping in your valuable info when ever you can !!!

As for Randy, he has my vote also ! I look up to both of you ! I've spent many hours looking over Randys work here !
Glad to have a place like this to go to, and for that, I Thank Ted and Joan !

Truly in your debt !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Thank you Glen
You have done a grand job I have had several replies to my posts from you as well as reading your answers on other posts that interested me.
Thanks also to Randy glad to know you are taking over I know you have given me some good answers too.
and not forgetting Joan and Ted an inspiration to all.
:applause :applause :applause
Alick
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Glen's advice was critical to the success of my builds. Thank so much for sharing your experience and knowledge. Hope to see you around the forum.

Arctic
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Glen,

Your expertise and generosity has been a huge part of this forum for many years. You always knew what us builders were going through when we presented a problem and you were always quick to offer a solution. You offered me many such solutions and all of them worked. I can remember all those times you reminded me to do a test piece first. Great advice and I'm glad I listened. I think back to the times we chatted for hours a day about building, designing and paddling our boats. I miss those times. I think back to when I too was an administrator. I wasn't much help but I miss those times. I remember attending the Bear Mountain Boat Builders Rendezvous in 2005 and getting to meet you. Then, camping with you in 2007, what a great time we had. You have been a fellow builder,designer, and paddler, but I am most proud to know you as a friend. I am thankful to you for many things and I am thankful for your service. Joan, Ted and all of us on this forum have benefitted from your service. Thanks for all you have done, friend.

Randy,

I cannot think of a better person to take over the day to day administration of this forum. I've seen your work, read your advice and it is all top notch. I remember back when we were both building our first boats. I admired your craftsmenship and aspired to follow your lead. I enjoyed watching your build and learned from your questions as much as my own. You have completed projects that I have only dreamed of. I look forward to seeing you on this forum for many years to come. Although we have never physically met, I feel like we have known each other for a very long time. I am happy to know this forum is in very capable hands.

P.S. My Redbird is faster. :laughing
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Wow Mike, I just returned from a week of paddling in the wilderness (neglecting the forum) and find this. In my exhausted state it brings a tear to my eye. I completely agree with and second everything you wrote about Glen. An awesome supporter of this forum and many builders throughout the world. As for your second paragraph, thank you but it was you who provided inspiration to Patrick and I as we struggled to build our Redbird. You lead the way.

As for your final comment, at least your honest enough to put the laughing face after it... We still need to meet up for that race. Perhaps after my 3rd wilderness trip this season I'll be ready...

peace.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Greetings All,
And long time no see to several of you old timers...
I have learned from Glen's daughter, Julie that Glen has passed.
I just want to come here, share my respect and honor Glen.
Glen was so helpful, giving advice and always had a kind word to share.
Although I never met Glen in person, he touched my life in a way, that I will always remember and think of him in a way that will help me be a better person.
Rest In Peace My Friend...
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

Glen Smith - Final Post

Post by Joan and Ted »

Joan and Glen.jpg
We have all just learned that our friend Glen has paddled on......I had not heard from Glen since Christmas when he thanked me for the Canoe Museum jacket we sent to him (it matches the one we sent to Randy who took over the forum when Glen's health deteriorated). At the time Glen was pretty excited that he and Jocelyn were going to become grandparents in the new year.
Darn - always thought we would get one move paddle/visit Glen.....without you we would not have a forum.....your tireless attention just never ran out....even when I was often overwhelmed with the amount of work keeping the forum going - you just quietly took over all those years ago.....fair weather and open water ahead my friend.......no one deserves it more than you.
PS - I will post again when I know more details.....Joan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joan Barrett and Ted Moores
Bear Mountain Boats
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
705-740-0470
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I can only echo sentiments of Glen.
He also touched my life !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!