what else do i need?

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Rabbit

what else do i need?

Post by Rabbit »

welp, i need to scrape the drips (long story), sand the outer hull and throw on another couple of coats of clear then splinters will be ready for the water.

i have my pfd, whistle, spare paddle, bailer, throw bag, first aid kit and water bottle. i'm planning on putting some closed cell foam mat on the inside hull in case i need to kneel.

am i missing anything for my first paddle?
Jim Dodd

Re: what else do i need?

Post by Jim Dodd »

Well being from Downunder, you've at least got warm water this time of year.
I'd say you're pretty well set, unless your in croc country ? Then maybe a big knife like Crocodile Dundee. Just kidding about the knife !
Enjoy the time on the water !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

You seem pretty well prepared.

Depending on how long your first paddle will be, bring some food!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

thanx guys :)

jim: no crocs where i am, but once i get a feel for the boat and a bit of confidence i'll be using it for what i built it for... fishing in the estuaries both salt and fresh water reaches. yeh.. no crocs, but bull sharks :tu as for the place for my first paddle , whilst my entry point has a car park, bbq's and the like, it's surrounded by habitat for : red bellied black snakes - they'll kill ya, copper heads - they'll kill ya, common brown snake - they'll kill ya, and tiger snakes - and......they'll kill ya :wink . yeh, that first aid kit is geared for cuts, scraps and snake bites :laughing

randy: first paddle will be in a lake that's about 100m across at its widest point, has 5 bends and is about 2km long. no waves, no current to speak of. there's eels, catfish, european carp, and it's been stocked with australian bass. :dancing

once i have done a few trips there just practicing my paddling techniques i'll throw in a line to get a feel for dealing with the canoe and a fish on.