chestnut prospector help!!!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Ranger1998

chestnut prospector help!!!

Post by Ranger1998 »

i am trying to make the chesnut prospector out of the older book "canoe craft". Im lofting my self and hav come to a problem when i cut the molds out. (1) all the mold stations 0-6 are about 3 in lower then the 7 and stem mold..i have read and reread the book and just cant figure it out...i have the 2'' extension on the bottom for the strongback (actually it is 3 3/4'' cause i added a bit for more height) i dont understand what i could of done wrong as i think i have done everything right!!lol
Patricks Dad

Re: chestnut prospector help!!!

Post by Patricks Dad »

I don't see any error updates on the BMB website for the Prospector.
Looking at the profile in the Table of Heights for Stations 6 & 7, you can see that there should be a difference:
Station 6: 1 - 11 - 0+
Station 7: 1 - 9 - 5+

This difference in height is 1 3/8" (where station 6 should be HIGHER than station 7)
If you are 3" the other direction, the error to look for is actually over 4".

So, if you have a 3" difference there (in the other direction), I don't think it's cause from the numbers in the book.

Go take a look at any extra you've added and make sure you've done it consistently throughout.

Good luck!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Ranger1998

Post by Ranger1998 »

thank you P dad for your help....i guess i might need to rebuild all my forms because only my stations 7 are higher then the rest of the molds...i dont think i understand all the directions in the older version of "canoe craft" on lofting :crying !!lol.....but hopefully tomorrow i can figuir it all out
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

as you investigate, look for an opportunity to only rebuild/shorten form #7 (and perhaps your stem molds). It would be easier to shorten those than "stretch" everything else (although adding some height to other forms isn't impossible with some scraps of plywood - if it comes to that).

You'll figure it out!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Ranger1998

Post by Ranger1998 »

since you said something to the lines of jacking the molds to right height(correct me if im wrong please) what height does the center station have to be so i can get the right rocker and slope to the hull???
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm looking at Canoecraft Revised and Expanded C2000. I don't know what revision you are looking at so I'm not going to give you specific numbers to use. But you should be able to look at the profile heights there and see that they make a fair curve (just by looking at the numbers - draw them on a graph if it helps). That should help you down the path of lining things up correctly in your shop.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Ranger1998

Post by Ranger1998 »

im using the older book not the revised let me go get it real quick
Ranger1998

Post by Ranger1998 »

ok on page 43 of the old book on chart B station 6, row 16 it says 15 13/16-'' and the one up from that one on the 14th row it is only 5'' 13/16'' is this a misprint because it sure dont look right!

thanks for the help i think ill try end raise the forms tomorrow to compensate for the wrong height..

thanks so much for the help..the mud is clearing up for me (if you know what i mean) :laughing
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Chart B Station 6 Row 16 is 5 & 13/16".
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I have the 1997 copy, and it states what Glenn posted.
I lofted these years ago with no problems.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Ranger1998

Post by Ranger1998 »

ok thanks guys for all the help i will be working on the it again once i get some more time...thanks again!!!
Ranger1998

Post by Ranger1998 »

ok im back to square on so to speak :sad ...i have lofted my plans on paper and have come to the same problem as before with station 1-7 being higher then station 0..it is a like my mold do not have any rocker and the lowest point of the hull is right in the center(which to me seems back words because the stem should be the lowest with the center of the canoe being the highest)..i dont know what im doing wrong i have added the 2in to the bottom of all the forms but to no use...

if any body has pics or videos of how they set up there forms i would love to see them!!!!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Have you used a common waterline for all of the stations?

I don't know how you did the lofting but I find it best to draw all the stations on the same sheet.

Perhaps you can post a photo of what you have done so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranger1998

Post by Ranger1998 »

thank you glen (and everybody else) for your help!!...i have not been online in a while to check my thread but i have (i think :thinking ) figured out how to plot my plans!...i also have cut them out and secured them to my strong back and they seem to look right!!lol and today i steamed my stems and have them drying on the stem mold...my only question now is the bow and stern seem VARY narrow??? i have about 23in (from the 7th mold to the stem mold) that is Really narrow and it seems a bit not right...so if any body has a pic of there finished chestnut prospector i would LOVE to see it!!!!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You should be able to find some photos if you go through the posts here: http://bearmountainboats.com/phpBB3/vie ... ?f=3&t=307