Epoxy problems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Richard2

Epoxy problems

Post by Richard2 »

I finished my epoxy coat some months ago and now see a dark stain forming in one area. Any suggestions on how to remove the stain. Do I sand the affected hull section?
Jim Dodd

Re: Epoxy problems

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Richard

Need more details.

Is it the wood staining ? What kind of wood ?

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

Is or has that area been exposed to direct sunlight, like through a window? that can affect colour quite quickly.
Richard2

Post by Richard2 »

No sun. Stain is on cedar wood under the epoxy
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

pictures???

If the stain is below the epoxy (and glass), I don't see how sanding will resolve the problem.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Richard2

Post by Richard2 »

Right

See attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

The pic helps some.

Contamination of the wood surface before glassing. To my mind.

A lot of work to repair, which would require sanding down to the wood, and the stain may go all the way through the wood.

I'd either leave it, or paint it.

Jim
Last edited by Jim Dodd on Sun May 11, 2014 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Richard2

Post by Richard2 »

Thanks!
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

That looks bizarre. If it is in the wood, then, is it possible something has penetrated from the other side if not glassed yet? Your resin looks a little cloudy, but that could just be the glare from the light in the photo. If it is also turning cloudy, then it could be a blush of some sort. Water soluble blush mixing with something on the boat? If it was me, I would scrape down a small section right to wood to see how deep it goes. If it is into the wood, then I would make my decision as to whether I would sand a larger area or re-do the whole boat. And who is to know whether the area gets larger with time?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I assumed you have already glassed this canoe but reading your original post it's not clear. Is there glass there or just a first seal coat of epoxy?

As Rod says, it looks cloudy in addition to the stain. Does it actually look cloudy to you or is it just the picture (or perhaps sanding dust?). What type of epoxy are you using?

The stain almost looks like the result of wiping it down with something that perhaps reacted with the epoxy (or a portion that didn't get well wiped down and something that was there prior to the wipe down). Is this the only occurrence or are there other places on the hull that have similar staining?

If you look up under the canoe up into the other side of this section, can you see anything strange on the inside?

If you have no glass, I'd sand through the epoxy in a small section as Rod suggests and see what happens. If you have glass on already, sanding through to the wood would be a harder decision for me but probably still the right answer. But if the stain goes deep into the wood, you're down to learning to like it or painting it.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I agree with Randy for both the probable cause and recommended action. Looking at the pretty pattern, you have a preparation problem that is either something you wiped on or something that was not properly wiped off during the prep - either way it looks like the surface was contaminated - the pattern is consistent with wipe marks which is the main supporting evidence.

Randy's suggested action would also be my approach. Also, if you have the fiberglass on, I would do small exploration test sanding to help determine the depth of the problem (vice sanding the whole area straight away).

Let us know what you find.

Snowman
Snowman back East