Redbird questions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Redbird questions

Post by WMegl »

I want to attach a brass stemband to the outer stems only (I won't have a keel). Ted calls for a 3/8 in. by 3/16 in. stem band. I have not been able to find one (at least not from a company that will sell to an individual in a small quantity) except for Jamestown Distributors. However, their brass stemband is 3/8 in. wide by 0.093 in. thick. 3/16 is 0.1875 in. Has anyone used Jamestown's stem band successfully? I would think the only issue is the amount of outer stem protection provided with the thinner band. Or, does any one have a recommendation for a supplier of the 3/8 by 3/16 in. stemband?

Also, now that I've epoxied the outer stems to the inner and formed the outer stem to the correct dimensions, the adjoining cedar strips look messy. They are partially saturated with the epoxy overflow from the outer stem gluing process, and they have turned darker due to this saturation. Also, during the sanding of the outer stem, this darker color is spotty. Should I sand the strips (and the outer stem to keep the joint smooth) until this dark color is gone, or will the color match when I lay up the fiberglass cloth saturated with the epoxy resin?

Thanks.
First Timer
Patricks Dad

Re: Redbird questions

Post by Patricks Dad »

The thinner stem band should be fine. You shouldn't be planning on wearing it out. But I bought a stem band here:

http://www.wooden-canoes.com/documents/WoodenCanoeF.pdf. I liked the hollow back design. Install with bedding compound behind it.

You should sand your strips/outer stem so they make a fair curve and all gaps between them are filled/even. Once you saturate the entire hull when glassing, the color difference you see now will be dramatically less.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Randy: Thanks for your quick reply. My stems have been sanded to a fair curve and all the gaps are gone. I assume by your answer I don't need to sand the hull any further to get rid of the blotchiness as this will be negligible when the saturated later during the glassing process.
First Timer
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Right. If you want to see a good approximation of what it will look like when done, get it wet. You will need to do this before you glass to raise the grain anyway (followed by a fine sanding of course).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Randy: Got it. Thanks.
First Timer