KEVLAR v:s FIBERGLASS CLOTH

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Doug Carey

KEVLAR v:s FIBERGLASS CLOTH

Post by Doug Carey »

wondering about the merits of using Kevlar cloth rather than fiberglass cloth on cedar strip canoe to try to save weight..........any thoughts would be appreciated as I am contemplating building another canoe this winter
PADDLES AWAY!
Jim Dodd

Re: KEVLAR v:s FIBERGLASS CLOTH

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Doug

I'm finishing a Kevlar canoe that I started years ago. I started by reading the book by James Moran called Building a Kevlar Canoe.

I used a solo stripper that I was building one Summer, as the mold.
Used heat shrink film as the release between the stripper, and the Kevlar.
It worked great, except the tumblehome was a little hard to duplicate. A gravity thing.
It's been on my back burner for years, and now I'm back at it.

I bought the Kevlar from RAKA. It was 9oz. difficult to wet out, real tough to cut, and not stiff enough for a hull without support of some kind. I'm laminating foam at this point to stiffen the hull. Plan to cover the foam with another layer of S-glass on the inside. This is a totally new thing for me, but exciting ! Keeping my fingers crossed !

It also was a coarse weave compared to E-glass or S-glass.

I'll probably try another hull, as I like the lightness, and durability.

How are you thinking of using Kevlar in your build ? And what weave do you have in mind ?

Jim
Last edited by Jim Dodd on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Sorry Doug!
I got a little carried away !
My answer to your question, will you save weight using Kevlar vrs Fiberglass cloth on a cedar strip canoe ?

No, 6oz E-glass or 5oz Kevlar cloth would be so close to the same weight, you would not see a difference. That's if you're covering a wood strip hull.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Doug Carey

Post by Doug Carey »

Hello Jim........thanks for the heads up on using Kevlar v:s fiberglass cloth.
I am planning on building another cedar strip canoe this winter and was considering whether to use what I was told was a "lighter and stronger" material than f/g cloth.
I have not sourced a local supplier for that material but just a thought.
Sounds like your project building a hull from the Kevlar cloth was a real challenge for sure.
All the best with your plans to stiffen the hull.
Best regards.
Doug C.
PADDLES AWAY!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Maybe the other point here, is that if you are planning on a cedar strip, kevlar is not clear ..... sort of defeats the whole concept of a wood boat, if it gets hidden beneath kevlar.

Brian
Doug Carey

Post by Doug Carey »

Thanks for that heads up Brian.......I never even thought about that important feature.
Sounds like I will be sticking with the good old fiberglass cloth that we used on the 3 other canoes that we built.
I might as well cover over the cedar with canvas then and not even worry about being able to see the cedar.............but that's another topic completely different.
I will need to check with the other half of my design team (my wife) before proceeding once we get to that stage.
regards,
Doug C.
PADDLES AWAY!