Transfers onto wood

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
antony

Transfers onto wood

Post by antony »

Watching the Canoecraft DVD with Nick Offerman he uses a printer and acetone to transfer a design onto his wooden canoe. I am building a Redbird at the moment and would like to try this method. Can anyone give me any more details as to the best way to make this work? When I've experimented the design has come out very faint. :thinking
Rabbit

Re: Transfers onto wood

Post by Rabbit »

antony wrote:Watching the Canoecraft DVD with Nick Offerman he uses a printer and acetone to transfer a design onto his wooden canoe. When I've experimented the design has come out very faint. :thinking
hi antony :)

it's been a while since i last watched the dvds, so i had to re-watch the section. he dosn't use acetone, it's lacquer thinner, which is a far more non-polar organic solvent. the other thing is he specifically used a photo copier. assuming it was a standard dedicated photo copier, it uses toner rather than the usual dye based inks common in an ink jet printer. a laser printer would do the trick. the thinners interact more strongly with the binders in the toner than acetone would.

for ink jet printers there are papers for making transfers and decals around, you just need to hunt for them. :tu
antony

Re: Transfers onto wood

Post by antony »

Thanks. The printer I have uses toner so I'll try it with thinners. I'll let you know if it works!!