Back at it after 35 years

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
hughhallhh56

Back at it after 35 years

Post by hughhallhh56 »

Thirty five years ago I built a couple of MicMac canoes. A big 19 footer. First one I built while in high school. Nothing like a little project to start things out.

Well fast forward 35 years and I and want to build a couple of smaller canoes. I'm not getting stronger every day so the thought of lifting a 19 footer down to the lake isn't the same as it was 10 years ago. So I am planning on building two Rob Roys. I have the latest edition of Canoe Craft and have found a few measurements that don't make sense to me.

I think I have figured out the error in bow stem WL 10 and 12 offsets. In the book they are 1-11-6+ and 1-09-4+ and they should be 11-6+ and 9-4+. It also states they are distances from station 1 when they should be distances from station 2.

I notice here in the forum a post from 2010 answered by Glen Smith that pointed to some corrections to the offsets. The link no longer works. In that post a few additional measurements are given one of which is 1-04-2+ @5 1/16. I believe this is the offset on the bow stem showing where the sheer line would be on the bow.

Does anyone have these additional measurements or the corrections mentioned? Below is the post I am referring to.

Thanks in advance.

Hugh
==================================

by Glen Smith » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:01 pm

The only corrections I am aware of are for the stem forms: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/canoestems.htm
Glen Smith

Stem offsets
Postby Stephan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:57 am

Ya, that looks better. However I do not under the the measurement of 1-04-2+ @5 1/16 or 4+ @11/16. It is the @ number that I do not understand.
Stephen

Re: Back at it after 35 years

Post by Stephen »

I think your deductive skills are fairly accurate. Check this link: http://web.archive.org/web/201211081136 ... estems.htm

[Edit}
In that post a few additional measurements are given one of which is 1-04-2+ @5 1/16. I believe this is the offset on the bow stem showing where the sheer line would be on the bow.

This is actually the sheer line at the stern stem. [/edit]

You'll find the table for the Rob Roy a little screwy. Because the column for the stern stem is too narrow, the entry for the stern sheer takes up two lines. This throws off the lines for the WL and the bow stem by one line. If you begin at 2" and 1-04-1+ and shift everything down by one line so it lines up with the third column, I think it should make sense.

One other thing of note is that the stern stem measures from station 12 (not 13.)

If you need to refer to another post, it may be helpful to us to post the actual link. You can do this by pressing the button labelled URL located above the message area, then copying and pasting the URL from the browser between the resulting
hughhallhh56

Re: Back at it after 35 years

Post by hughhallhh56 »

Thanks. That makes is clearer. I have lofted the values into Microsoft Visio, printed them, transferred to plywood and have now cutt them out. I left the stems for this weekend. A few more weeks and I'll be ready to start stripping.

Hugh