Trimming at shear line Tips

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
JesseP

Trimming at shear line Tips

Post by JesseP »

I have all of my strips on and Westsystem and fibreglass on order! I have been looking at the canoe for a few days hesitant to make the first cut haha. I need to cut at the shearline and don't want any major mess ups at this point.. I have made a template that uses a fair curve connection each stations shear lines. My intent is to use that template for all for cuts. Does this sound like the right move.(P.S Canoecraft is missing..I blame the wife lol.) Any advice on tool to do the cutting would be great.

Thanks again.. Pictures coming later today..need to find camera
I'm up to my torch.
JesseP

Re: Trimming at shear line Tips

Post by JesseP »

Correction*** all four cuts***
I'm up to my torch.
JesseP

Post by JesseP »

I'm up to my torch.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

My advice is to mark the shearline all around, and cut, staying away from the shearline, lets say 1/2" or more. Once you glass the outside, and remove the hull from the forms, you can come back and trim the shearline true.
Some times flaws develop when glassing near the shear, and by leaving them proud, you come back and trim past them.
There are many tools you can use, a Coping saw, a Keyhole saw, a Dremel tool, builders choice !

I hope that helps !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Denis

Post by Denis »

If you have a pattern already made up and it is for a symetrical boat ie a
Ranger or something like that I would draw your pattern on the hull with a pen and cut it carefully with a shop knife. Repeated shallow draws along the line with the knife will cut it nice and smooth. Start at the outer stem area and cut to the middle.

Denis
JesseP

Post by JesseP »

Thanks for the input. It is a symmetrical boat the Hiawatha. I will cut shy of the line by about 1/2" and then glass and trim after glassing. I still need to work on mortising the outer stem... that is my next hurdle. Thanks for all the help so far. Everyone has been really helpful.

More pictures to follow
I'm up to my torch.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I cut my sheerlines with a small (~1") circular saw blade on my dremel. I usually cut it a bit proud and then "trim" with a belt sander after the gunwales are installed. The gunwales will form a pretty fair curve on their own.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

On my latest Peterborough I marked and cut one quarter with a handsaw and then used the off cut after I had smoothed it a little to mark out the others.
Cheers
Alick :wink
Denis

Post by Denis »

DSC03118 (Large).JPG
DSC03119 (Large).JPG
you are likely past this step but as I mentioned earlier I cut the sheer line with a knife. When installing the inwales I push the inwale down slightly leaving some of the hull proud and sand it flush to the inwale.

I added a few pics from my work today as an example.

Denis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.