problem I keep having at varnishing stage.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
alick burt

problem I keep having at varnishing stage.

Post by alick burt »

Hi Folks
I am on the varnishing stage of my 12th boat and there are a couple of problems (that I haven't had on all of them) that refuse to go away.
Before I start I will just add the following.
1.I have left the resin long enough to dry instructions say 7 days I am on day 14 for the inside and 20 for the outside.
2.I have spoken to my resin supplier and he told me to prep it as follows wash the hull with a little washing up liquid.Rinse and dry it off.(I did this) and then left it overnight to be sure.He couldn't recommend a particular varnish but advised me to get the cheapest I could.(not sure I agree with that)
3.I have tried three different types of varnish now all single part marine types and am still getting this problem.Types are International original,screwfix no nonsense yacht varnish and flag yacht varnish.
4.Last time I put it down to working in cold winter weather but this time It has been a summer build and conditions have been perfect for drying of both epoxy and varnish.
5.varnish has been applied with a new brush as per Ted's instructions.(so far just first coat).
6.I use UK epoxy.

So here it is ..I coat the hull and it looks fine until I look back at it and see places that look like I have missed a bit.
in this picture there is one about 8 or nine strips up near the staple holes.
it is the small area above the shiny reflection in this picture.
I know from previous experience that if I try and rectify them by adding more to these areas it doesn't work as I end up with brush marks disturbing the varnish.There is probably one area per foot of hull ranging in size from half an inch to two inches round for the bigger ones.
and now the questions
1.Is this amine blushing should I perhaps wash my hull down twice?
2.Is it definately because I need to let my resin cure even longer say three weeks even in warm weather?
3.Is it definately a compatibility issue and should I try yet another manufacturers varnish?incidently the varnishes are fine on the woodwork where there is no epoxy!
4.Am I perhaps still not getting enough varnish on or applying it evenly enough?( I know this is what it looks like but I am sure I have covered all areas as I brush it on in two directions to be sure and it doesn't show immediately just by the time I am say half way down the hull.)
Any help appreciated as this one is plagueing me and refuses to be solved. :mad
cheers
Alick
Jim Dodd

Re: problem I keep having at varnishing stage.

Post by Jim Dodd »

I'm in no way an expert on varnish !!
I switched to a Non-Blush epoxy years ago, and it did greatly improve MY finishes.
Method of application, and quality of varnish are other factors !

Contaminates are another problem. Tack cloths can leave a residue. I'm told solvents of the wrong type can also mess with a finish.
A soap residue may be a problem.

There are too many variables out there !
I know not much help, but you have my sympathy any way !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Jim
Thanks for your reply I think I know the variables I just need someone who knows to point out which one it is that I need to improve on or sort out .Here's to hoping someone knows something we don't.. :applause
Cheers
Alick
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'd bet a dollar that your problem is some form of contamination on the hull before you varnished. If you used an epoxy that blushes, it needs to be fully cleaned off before you varnish. Other sources of contaminations might be wax or silicon (perhaps in a tack cloth?). "fish eyes" are a pain in the butt.

EDITED: Reading your note above more closely, I'm now not sure I really understand the problem. I was assuming the small shiny specs in the picture was the problem (fish-eyes) but your 2nd picture suggests otherwise. It's hard for me to tell what is really going on here. Read the rest with a grain of salt...

I'm pretty confident that it isn't the type of varnish or the temp applied. It's unlikely an outright incompatibility between the epoxy and the varnish. The real issue is most likely how clean the surface was when you started to varnish. Generally you can't sand off blush or other contaminants (sanding just spreads it around and makes it worse).

My guess is that to really solve this, you may need to take the existing varnish off and wash the hull very well with soap and water and then with some white vinegar (and maybe another soap and water bath and ensure you get all the soap off). You probably need to give it a really good scrubbing.

When you put on a new coat you will see very quickly if there are remaining issues (the fish eyes form pretty quickly).

I recently restored an old wooden canoe and the surface had this problem. Something was on the hull and my light sanding wasn't sufficient to remove it. I washed as above and the problem was greatly diminished (but not completely resolved).

good luck!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Randy
There is no sign of fish eyes on this hull but I have had them on an earlier one so will take note of your advice about that if I get them again. :applause
I think I may have solved it today.I found it was dry this morning although the marks were still visible and decided to go ahead with my next coat without rubbing it down.I had this problem before and rubbing it down seemed to make it worse.I thinned my varnish a little(just a capful from my white spirit bottle in a jar of varnish) to stop it dragging on the brush.
I gave it a coat as before and this time it looks fine all over.I am going to leave it over the weekend to be sure it dries well before I give it light rub down and re-coat.A few tiny flies landed on it but they will rub off once it is dry. :wink
Cheers
Alick
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Beautiful Alick !

Jim
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Thanks Jim
She is finished and turned out fine in the end.Here Are a few more pictures I took today.
Many Thanks
Alick
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Pretty Elegant Alick !
Nice work !

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Awesome!!!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com