Replace damaged strips, centerline cut

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Tim ODonnell

Replace damaged strips, centerline cut

Post by Tim ODonnell »

I am replacing some damaged strips on the stern of my 15 ft Ranger. About six on both side leading up to the stem.
Fiberglass and wood damaged due to boating in low water and rolling over rocks all afternoon.
I removed the fiberglass and have cut out the damaged strips. I have replacement strips rough cut and fitted for each side, nothing is glued in yet. What I am not sure of is how to address the center line cuts. Should I do one side, glue then in, cut the center line and then the other side. Or should I do one peace at a time, then do the corresponding piece on the other side. Then when they all fit well, glue them in all at once.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Tim
Jim Dodd

Re: Replace damaged strips, centerline cut

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Tim
A few pictures would be of great help !

Ultimately it will be what works best in your situation.

Depending on how many strips you are replacing, I'd try and dry fit, and then when I was happy, proceed to glue them in.
Epoxy would be my choice for gluing strips, and a good waterproof glue my second. Epoxy should blend in the best as far as color.

Again some pictures would help !

Good luck !

Jim

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Tim ODonnell

Post by Tim ODonnell »

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Pictures are definitely worth a lot of words.

If that is the inner fiberglass showing from the inside side .... dam it was fine work removing the damaged strips.

If that is the inner fiberglass sheath, I think your only choice is to epoxy the new strips to the fiberglass and each other.... and that in turn means you pretty much need to dry fit everything first ... then go on to mixing epoxy and putting the strips in.

I think I would try and figure a way to use some thickened epoxy on the strip edges as you place then in (after you wet out the strips side, bottom and fiberglass sheath) ... to provide any gap filling necessary and then just scrap off any excess. With any luck, it should set without too much additional work of smoothing and leveling.

Just my opinion.

Brian
Last edited by Cruiser on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Excellent pics, and it looks like great work so far.
I see little difference in either way of fitting the strips.
I would maybe make thicker strips, to aid in shaping the hull.
If I had some S-glass, I'd go with that. If not, I'd add a layer or two of E-glass. I'd even add another glass a layer inside.

Nice job removing strips !

Thanks for the pics !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Tim ODonnell

Post by Tim ODonnell »

Thank you both,
I will be cutting to fit all the pieces. I have not given S-glass much thought, but your probably correct. I think I will try that. I had always planned on removing/replacing the fiberglass on the inside after I got the outside done.
I appreciate your help.
Tim
Tim ODonnell

Post by Tim ODonnell »

Fitted the pieces and putting on fiberglass sheet. The guys at the wood werks store didn't know what S-glass was so I used fiberglass sheet.
Tim ODonnell

Post by Tim ODonnell »

Inside view before fiber glassing.
Tim ODonnell

Post by Tim ODonnell »

Finished. I think it turned out pretty good.

Thanks for all your help.

Tim

HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I would like to know how you removed the damaged strips so neatly. How did you get the inside epoxy/fiberglass to release the damaged strip(s) ??????????
Tim ODonnell

Post by Tim ODonnell »

I used a utility knife to cut across the strip, and just inside the glued joints. Then I used a chisel to remove the damaged wood. Some parts of the wood strips where splintered and separated from the inside fiberglass sheet. Most of the wood was removed was by using a chisel. I then used the utility knife and chisel to make a clean cut and clean up the glued joint. There were places I cut through the inside fiberglass sheet, but as long as I did not cut out the inside fiberglass completely I had a backing for the replacement wood strips to lay on. I was going to replace the fiberglass on the inside anyway. After I removed the wood I used a putty knife to separate the inside fiberglass from the hull around the hole that was created by removing the damaged strips. I used a putty knife to force some packing tape between the inside fiberglass and the hull. I put some tape on the inside fiberglass, then glued in (with epoxy) the new strips. I didn’t want the replacement strips to stick to the inside fiberglass sheet. Hopefully making it easier to remove the fiberglass on the inside. For the most part it worked. After the outside was fiberglassed I cut out the inside fiberglass section, sanded the wood and feathered the fiberglass. Cut out a new piece of fiberglass and epoxied. Now I have a scare on the inside of my hull to go along with all the scares on the outside. It’s all good.

Thanks, Tim
HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Thanks for explaining your method. Beautiful work.