fibreglassing around outer stem

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Peter Kotowych

fibreglassing around outer stem

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Howdy,

When I fibreglass the canoe next week, I plan to wrap the glass around the outer stem.
I plan on cutting the glass and inch or so above the stem and just wrap it around.
I haven't done this method before. I was just wondering if there were any major problems.
At a later date I plan to put 3 more bias layers on the stem to protect it.
Thanks
Pete
I love wood!
Patricks Dad

Re: fibreglassing around outer stem

Post by Patricks Dad »

don't try to wrap the glass around the outer stem. You will find it difficult to get it to stay there. The radius of the curve is generally too small.

Instead, just let the glass extend beyond the outer stem and cut if off after the first round of epxoy. Trim the glass right to the stem. Then, (as you suggest), apply a couple layers of glass over the stem later. That glass should be cut on the bias of the glass (45 degrees from fibers in the cloth). When cut on the bias, you will find that the glass will wrap nicely around the outer stem. Be cautious as it will also easily stretch greatly in length (although some stretch is handy in getting it to wrap around the stem).

thanks
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Peter Kotowych

Re: fibreglassing around outer stem

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Thanks Randy.
As I said I have never tried wrapping it around the stem, so I think I
will follow your advice.

Keep paddling!
pk