Aligning Stem Molds

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
rmoffat

Aligning Stem Molds

Post by rmoffat »

I'm a first time builder, all set to start my True North 19'3. Was attempting to align the stem molds on strongback last night, with string line in place, the bow stem mold seems to line up nicely with reference lines on strongback. However, when I adjust the stern stem mold to get the string line to line up with station mold and down centre line on strongback, the stem mold is now offset from my reference lines/centre line, on strongback by just shy of 1/8". The stern stem mold has a small bend in it. I can twist it with my hand to get it all to line up, but there's not much room to brace it. My question is, can I split the difference (1/8') and live with it or should I just make a new stem mold?
Jim Dodd

Re: Aligning Stem Molds

Post by Jim Dodd »

First, welcome aboard ! There is so much good information here ! I wish I'd had it when I first started building 25 yrs ago !

I'd say split the difference, and live with it. 1/8" in 19'+ is pretty small. I'd bet you could shim one side of the strong back and get a bigger variation.

Good luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
rmoffat

Post by rmoffat »

Thanks Jim, I wasn't sure what impact it would have...in my mind, I said the same thing as you, 1/8" over 19' is pretty close. Being over tired with weary eyes, is not the best time to try an eyeball everything into alignment, so I just had to walk away last night and ask the question today, to put my mind at ease.

Thanks Again,

Rob
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Rob
You might try screwing a batten to the side of your stem mould to take out the bowing.This could be planed to a slight curve to make it pull the way you want it to or you could put shims on it.It could be screwed on anywhere where it won't conflict with your strips and removed if necessary/possible whilst stripping once the first few planks have been fitted.
Cheers
Alick
rmoffat

Post by rmoffat »

Hi Alick,

Thanks for your input. I thought I might try to straighten mold out with a bracket/batten before securing mold to strongback, although tight space limits what I can use. After that I'll just get it as close as I can.