17' 0" Nomad

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
mrcanoehead

Re: 17' 0" Nomad

Post by mrcanoehead »

So I ran into a major hurdle which set me back by months.... the honey do list.

With wife's gargantuan to do list nearly complete I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had ordered my strips from the sawmill and received them in mid July. Unfortunately I had very little time to do anything with them and whats worse I was concerned about the quality of them. The bundle of strips seemed to show different sizes and torn pieces of wood only suitable for lighting fires. I placed them in a builders tube and taped of the ends until today.
Today I decided to really go through them. Good news is that the worst strips were just the leftovers from the edges of the boards I had purchased the majority of them seem quite good however. They still seem just a little ruff like they were ripped with a band saw but overall I'm quite happy with them as I originally thought I had bought lots of kindling. So after separating them I ended up with three piles.

58 strips of 18' 1"
38 strips of 17' 1"
11 strips unusable
5 partially usable ie half lengths that had broken in the middle.

I still have to route a bead and cove on them and hope to get something setup for that soon.

Attached are some pictures of the strips.

Chuck

"Attitude + Power = Performance"
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

The hull is finally closed
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Looks awesome! :applause

Enjoy the rest of your build!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

Thanks for the nice comment
it's starting to warm up a bit here and I want to start my seats.
Can anyone let me know how far from the 0 should the leading edge of my seat frame be?
Thanks for your help
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I just thumbed through the newest Canoecraft.

The Freedom 17 looks to be the closest to the Nomad. Which puts the front edge of the bow seat, about 60" aft of the bow. I would say this should give the bow paddler plenty of comfort, and this is important, if you ever want the bow paddler to paddle with you again !

As a rule of thumb, the leading edge of the bow and stern seats, should be equal distance from the center.

I make my own seats longer front to back than most commercial seats. This allows me room to shift my weight fore or aft, as the load requires.

The strip pattern on your hull is amazing ! Would enjoy a pic when you get it at least wetted out !

Hope this helps !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

Jim thanks for your reply it's going to help out allot another month or two and it should be warm enough to glass and thanks for the nice comment
rmb0513

Post by rmb0513 »

I just flipped my Nomad to get the inside ready for fiberglass and while working I noticed that the center of the hull is raised.
I can push the center of the football down and it will pop back up.
Will this increase an oil canning effect once on water or should I not worry about it?
I was thinking of adding ribs to keep the hull flat.
If I add ribs how is the best way to do it?
Before , after or during the fiberglassing process?
Thank you for your help
Randy
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I would address it now.

How much flex do you have in the hull (i.e., how far do you need to push it to get it to the right place?)?

If it is small, try putting some weight in it at that spot and let it set for a few days to see if it corrects. If that works, glass it as is.

I would try to avoid resorting to any ribs (but if you go that route, put them in after you glass.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I'm guessing you didn't double layer the bottom, on the outside ?

I'm a big fan of the double layer !

Yes ! I'd try the weight. Maybe even warm it with a blow drier.

Jim
rmb0513

Post by rmb0513 »

thank you for your reply
I did double layer the bottom
rmb0513

Post by rmb0513 »

Well after life got in the way and slowed down my build I am at the point of adding thwarts
My question is this i am adding a middle seat for the grandkids so do I still need a thwart?
Thank you
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Seems like I replied to this thread.

But I'd leave out the center thwart. Place the center seat, 5 or 6" aft of center.
Use an Old Bell type portage yoke on the seat.
Picture is the modified version I would use ! It doubles as a back rest. These yokes need to be made to fit the seat.

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Concur that should work

Brian
rmb0513

Post by rmb0513 »

Finally got to launch after several years in the making. the wife and myself had a great day but my canoe seemed very unstable with a lot of rocking
Is this normal for the Nomad?
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

These are the topics I could find in the forum on Nomad stability, but I'm not sure if they apply to your situation. search.php?keywords=nomad+stability&ter ... mit=Search

Some of the posts on the Prospector, however may be helpful. The Nomad is just an oversized Prospector. search.php?keywords=prospector+stabilit ... mit=Search

These two posts in particular caught my eye. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2192&p=13613 and viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3782&p=23859

The causes mentioned are loading and seat height . These canoes are meant to carry a lot of weight and can be skittish if not loaded to their design waterline. Glen Smith mentions filling water jugs to add weight. I think I would try that before tinkering with seat height.