Minor Freedom 17'9" update

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Kermit

Re: Minor Freedom 17'9" update

Post by Kermit »

Thanks Jim, I am definitely looking forward to this spring and start putting some personality into the beast.

I did close out last fall with the first bit of individuality....

Painter holes.

Must be honest, that was the single most gut-wrenching thing I have done on this canoe as of yet.

Test fitting the plug, ala John Michne.

Epoxied and trimmed level to the glass:

I have since started the beveling of the inner radius, unfortunately, no photos yet.

And the final photo from 2014, the start to my deck design:

Cheers,

Chris
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Knock knock, is this thing still on?

Whelp, it's August and I have only just started one the beauty. Between excess heat and humidity ruining my lungs and torrential downpours, I haven't been able to really start into the beast this year... That, and the boss and I picked up a camper trailer and I have been playing with that to get it ready for some much needed R&R this summer.

This weekend I knuckled down and got the decks ready to accept the handles I made, hoping to get them epoxied next weekend. Also started trimming the bulkheads in anticipation of attaching the inwards (which still need shaping...).

Hope everyone is doing well, and hopefully you will hear more from me soon.. Because I'm tired of hearing my little one say the canoe is as old as he is... and still not done.

Cheers,

Chris
Last edited by Kermit on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hang in there Chris !

It's easy to get side tracked ! I call it LIFE.

To me you have the hardest part done, and that's great !

Trim gives you a chance to personalize the canoe, it's how YOU want the canoe to be. Listen to your self, but search out the best options, and make informed choices.

I guarantee a sense of accomplishment will come over you when you first lay the canoe to water ! Whether that be this year, or next !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Two in one Month?????

Say it ain't so.

Bulkheads have been trimmed;

Stern

Bow

And the access hole has been cut;

Looking to fiberglass the bulkheads this weekend, and start fitting the inwales too.

Cheers,

Chris
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I glass the back side of my bulk heads also. You never know WHEN water will get in there. Treat it like the hull.

Good luck !

Jim
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Sorry for the lack of any update, it seems life is doing it best to ensure I never get this boat done. I was getting ready to sand and apply the inwales, left for a short vacation in Algonquin, and seemed to have suffered a cerebral tear, a stroke. Rehab is going well. Had some help packing the beauty up, and hope to be back on the horse next year. I like to think that the paddling will be good for my coordination.

That being said, love you all, thanks for all the help over the years and expect many more questions once I'm back in shape.

Chris.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Happy 2016 everyone.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I have been very lucky in my rehab from the stroke, co-ordination is almost back up to normal. The only real carry over is some buggy short-term memory loss. All that being said is I can't use the stroke as an excuse for the lack of canoe in the water. :sad

I am trying to get the body sanded to be ready for my trim install, but the weather hasn't been the most cooperative. I will be posting up some more pictures once there is something interesting to look at.

Get ready for the new onslaught of questions.

Chris
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Glad you up and at them !

My Dad suffered from a stroke in 63. Was totally incapacitated.
It's a wonder what they can do now days !!

And Yes ! Looking forward to many more posts from you !

Jim
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Well, this canoe better be a labour of love, 2016 was not as easy on me as I had hoped. Extreme fatigue and an inability to function in any sort of heat put a bit of a dampener on my progress. That, and the boss, or She Who Will Not Be Named, was "overly" protective of me.

I did manage to get some progress done. Inwales were installed and the the decks cut to size, getting ready to install them in the coming weeks.

All in all, nowhere near where I was hoping to be, but I can still work on it, so I will take my blessings while I can.

Chris

P.S. Hopefully the pictures are not too obnoxiously big, I can't remember how i did them before...
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Boat has nice fair curves and those stands are almost identical to mine.

Nice part about this part of the build, is that most of the stuff you do, makes a difference in the appearance ... that sort of inspires.

Not far to go now.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I agree with Brian !
The hard part is over.

I once helped a guy glass his canoe, that had been 10 yrs in the building.
He was just as happy, if he would have built it in a week !

I'll bet the next one will go easier, and faster !

When bush on that first coat of varnish, and stand back for a look, the past won't matter !

Looks great !

Jim
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Hello, is anyone still here?

Slow progress in 2018 didn't encourage me to post any pics, but the trim was varnished, and fitted and the canoe packed away for varnishing in 2019.

Whoa boy the updates.

I can actually work without extreme fatique finally, and varnishing didn't have to wait for dry days, which is good for a change.

Waiting for the last coat of varnish to cure in order to install the stem bands.

It is looking likely that it may actually hit the water this year.

Thanks as always for all the help and encouragement, it helped me in more ways than you know.

Cheers,
Chris
Last edited by Kermit on Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Great job Chris !

Rome wasn't built in a day !

You have come a long way ! The reward comes, when you lay your canoe on the water for the first time ! As you stand there on shore and gaze at the craft you have created. Reflect on your Journey ! You will have learned many things ! But most of all, you have learned about yourself, and what You can accomplish !

Well Done !

Oh, and enjoy that first forward stroke as the canoe glides through the water !

Jim
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

: ( I can't see the pics you posted.

Glad you have stuck with the build, it can be easy to get side tracked.

You are in the home stretch, almost to the splash point ...you are going to be so elated when it hits the water. Keep going ra ra ra

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Yes the pics are now gone.
They showed up earlier ?

Jim