Seat Positions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
brooks

Seat Positions

Post by brooks »

I'm working on finishing the seats and decks of my Ranger. I can't decide on the height of my seats. if I put them to high the canoe will be top heavy and have more of a tendency to roll and to low, well that is the question. Also is the inwale strong enough to hold 200 lb buy 4- 1/4 20 bolts. The inwales are mahogany and only 3/4 x 3/4 with scuppers. Its a little troublesome. What is the usual height of a seat that is used mostly on a Ranger and has anyone ever had a inwale fail at the seat bolt. This build has given me so much enjoyment and satisfaction I can't tell you guys how pleased I am. Thanks for all your posts pete
alick burt

Re: Seat Positions

Post by alick burt »

Hi Pete.
I haven't made a Ranger my boats are mostly Peterborough's but I find with seats hanging on 150mm bolts
at the end of the bolts it gives you the option to easily cut the pillars above them down if you decide they need to be higher.You can also put the pillar offcut back on the bolt under your seat so you don't have to trim the bolts and can put it back again if you want to change it at a later date.
The system is very flexible so you can try out different heights and see what you like.
I have moved my seats up just enough so I can get my feet under to kneel underneath.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink

Alick
P.S. I haven't had any fail but I am all skin and bone!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Pete
1/4"x20 is fine. I use them and weigh over 230#, with no trouble at all.
I use Ash. Mahogany is softer, so you might consider epoxying cleats, instead of hanging.

My theory is hang them on the low side. It's easer to raise a seat, than to lower it later. Adding a spacers, or use a cushion.

How deep is the Ranger ? As a rule, I drop my seats around 4" from the top of the gunnel. 8" clearance should be comfortable, maybe a little more.

Hope you post some pics !!

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hanging the seat with a 10 inch clearance under the seat should give you enough room if you are kneeling. If you intend to sit all the time you might want it a bit lower. I use ash inwales so I am not sure how yours would hold up. Be sure to drill closer to the hull than the inside edge of the inwale to make sure you have enough wood to support.

Denis
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

If you feel there isn't enough wood where you want to add the seat, you can always add in an additional piece of gunnel at that location to beef it up a bit. I intentionally went with very light gunnels on my solo, and just added some additional "beef" where needed.

I added smaller pieces at the thwarts and for the seats, you can "sculpt" them to follow the flow of the boat and they seem to blend right in (just click the photo if the seat area doesn't show the added gunnel piece).

Brian