Kipawa plans question

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Morecowbell

Kipawa plans question

Post by Morecowbell »

Anyone have any experience with plans from Green Valley? Just wondering if there's an advantage to paper plans vs. the CD rom where you have them printed, for example does GV print them on some super-duper, not affected by humidity paper, vs. some loss of accuracy in translation at Kinko's, or is it pretty much 6 of one, half dozen of the other?

BTW, my plan of building a Bob's Special for our BWCA trip was "delayed", discretion being the better part of valor, and it was probably a good thing. We paddled a Wenonah Boundary Waters canoe and I learned a bit more about what I'm looking for, which has me pretty convinced that I'm going to build a Kipawa. Wind resistance is definitely something to consider! But fantastic trip, I'm hooked.

Thx,

Clay
Last edited by Morecowbell on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cruiser

Re: Kipawa plans question

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Clay,

I figure I am about 2 weeks from water with the Kipawa I am building. (posted under non-bear mountain designs).

The only difference between bear mountain and GV plans are bear mountain uses the 1/2 mold scheme (where you flip it to get the other half) and GV uses a full size mold you just trace.

IMO, if you have a choice, get the plans ... it is one of the cheapest parts of the build and getting the plans means one less thing to mess up.

Brian

ps ... I will be updating my Kipawa post saturday or sunday with a progress report if you are interested.
Morecowbell

Re: Kipawa plans question

Post by Morecowbell »

Brian -

That's really helpful - great to see shots of your progress and also the hull contours. Looks like a fantastic job on the transition to the bow and stern - your photos capture those curves very well, and they look really good. I will definitely be bothering you for more details on your stripless methods! Please post more - looking forward to the update.

Oh, and very jealous you have CNC friends. Noahs has CNC forms for $195 and after going through some of the process on the Bob's I'm considering it. I built furniture in a previous life so I'm all about doing things myself for less money, but I really like the idea of having them computer cut.

Many thanks! And please keep posting on your progress -

Best,

Clay