Low Volume Solo - Half Moon from Carrying Place

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
NickN

Low Volume Solo - Half Moon from Carrying Place

Post by NickN »

I love low volume craft. I have paddled exclusively a Greenland kayak for many years, and have developed a preference for the connection, feeling, responsiveness and challenge that comes from a tight fit and LV hull which does not have extra capacity for some fantasy expedition I'll never do.
1525051_696350693719079_1397904617_n.jpg
The same goes for canoes. I am thin, I paddle fast and light day trips or minimalist single overnighters, and I work on my technique constantly. My balance is trained by rough water sea kayaking. So why paddle something with capacity and stability designed around a 200+lb paddler and a week's worth of gear for tripping? I don't trip. I want a canoe for the paddles I do most often, empty or lightly loaded.

So when I looked for a solo canoe to build, I had trouble finding something that was fitted to me. I found proven designs like the Freedom Solo 15'3" and Green Valley Kite. I settled on and ordered Kite plans customized by them to have 1" narrower beam (I have paddled the production Osprey before). Then, by accident, I stumbled on the Carrying Place Half Moon. This is the only solo I've found that is designed specifically for my criteria, albeit not engineered by a yacht designer like the Bear Mountain.
halfmoon-small.jpg
lg_STRIP01halfmoon.jpg
I've already ordered these plans too, with the intent to build this one, even though I found zero information on it from other builders, or anyone who knows how it paddles, and only one small picture of it on their website. Before I commit my 200 hours of time into it, I'm reaching out to see if anyone has built this obscure canoe, and if anyone has any insight for me. I have heard that attempting to modify a proven design is typically not advised, so I am ready to build the Half Moon because I believe I will enjoy it.

Thanks.
-Nick
Jim Dodd

Re: Low Volume Solo - Half Moon from Carrying Place

Post by Jim Dodd »

Welcome to the site !
I really enjoyed paddling the John Winters Barracuda a while back. Fast, but it might be a challenge for a first time builder.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
vickikanu

Post by vickikanu »

Hi Nick,
I'm looking for a solo plan as well. Did you end up building this boat?

I'm a small paddler and like the narrow beam of this model and the potential for lightweight portaging. I also like the maneuverability of a boat with some rocker. I'm wondering how much capacity it has though. I know you were looking for low volume, but I'd like to take it on solo trips. The Half Moon seems similar to the Hemlock Kestral (a boat designed for women) in size with a bit more Rocker.

If you built it, how do you like the boat in the water?

I'm also considering the Northwest Solo Passage. Any thoughts out there?

Vicki
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Since I built the Freedom Solo in the 16'6" version, I am likely a bit biased.

I tripped quite a bit with the Osprey when I was solo and it is a fine boat, but when I finally decided which boat to build, I ended up choosing the Freedom, largely due to the specifications better fitting what I was looking for.

My tripping group uses mostly Ospreys (solo) and Kipawa (tandem) and I will state that the Freedom is a faster design and in my opinion more stable and responsive. Stating how fast a canoe is or seems can be a bit of a contentious claim, but I will simply say that I struggled to keep up with the group when solo in an Osprey and in the Freedom, I kind of wander over the lake visiting boat to boat and not really having to work at keeping pace.

If you want to go smaller and lighter, maybe a "pack" canoe would be a better fit ... I know Swift has a couple at 12' and 13.5', they are light, maneuverable and pretty quick. I believe they are basically one of their kayaks with the top removed and flared a little. Of course I don't know if the plans are available or if Swift would part with the lofting tables ... but it may be another avenue.

Just some thoughts.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

The lines of The Carrying Place Half Moon, looks like an ideal smaller person day tripper.
As for over nights, I'd think it a little small.
I know of several building the North West Passage now. Might hear more about it later this year. I personally like the lines on it, but I'm 240#.

Picking the design for a canoe is probably your most important decision, in the building process. Take the time to research it !

Good Luck !! And Welcome to the site !
OH ! And Post often :tu

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
vickikanu

Post by vickikanu »

Thanks for your input.

What I'm really looking for is a boat with symmetrical rocker of 2 inches or so (I like maneuverability), somewhere around 14 feet, with perhaps 28 inches maximum beam. Not easy to find one that fits this description, I am discovering.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I was thinking of renting one of these to make a lofting table from, so I could build one .. one of the few that matches up with what you listed

http://www.swiftcanoe.com/#!adirondack-pack-136/c1u96
sedges

alternatives from the W/C world

Post by sedges »

Red River Canoe in Manitoba has two interesting solos. The 13' Esprit and the 14' Fox.. The Esprit sounds more like your style. Doug has sold plans in the past, though I see no mention on his website currently. I got plans for the Fox years ago and they are for forms to build wood/canvas canoe molds so they take quite a bit of modification for strip building.

Stewart River Boatworks also have a 13 and a 14 footer. I notice they sell plans for the 14' solitude and I would contact them about the 13 footer. Again, these plans will be for a wood/canvas canoe mold.

http://www.redrivercanoe.ca/p/canoe-mod ... icing.html

http://www.stewartriver.com/canoes/index.html