Ranger, Huron Cruiser, or Bob's Special?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
brian

Ranger, Huron Cruiser, or Bob's Special?

Post by brian »

Greetings All!

So, on a whim, I picked up a copy of Canoecraft before a camping trip. (I liked the picture on the front.) Read it twice during the trip and decided it was something I wanted to do. I've cut the sections for the strongback, and have a practice piece for the parts I haven't done before, but I'm stuck at which boat to build. I'm torn between the Ranger, Huron Cruiser, and Bob's Special. I'm probably overanalyzing the decision, and all three look like good choices. Unfortunately, I'm space limited to one for now.

I'm pretty much a beginner at canoeing, as my last experience was probably a decade ago. Most of my trips are going to be solo, but I'd like the capacity to take someone. The most common spots are going to be calm lakes, but it may get used on some very light rapids and rivers. Mostly day trips, probably some 1-3 day trips, and maybe a few longer than that, but I pack light.

This one will be mostly built outside, but I plan on bringing it inside if there's going to be a storm. That's the reason for the length, as I only have 16'3" to work with inside. My running plan is to set up the strongback inside, and assemble to the second strip. Then mount wheels on the strongback and move it outside.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Ranger, but I see the merits of the other two as well. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'd certainly appreciate any advise, and I will be reading a lot more in the forum as I start construction.

Edit: Links to plans.
Ranger
Huron Cruiser
Bob's Special
Last edited by brian on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Dodd

Re: Ranger, Huron Cruiser, or Bob's Special?

Post by Jim Dodd »

Welcome aboard.

I much prefer to build inside. Where I live, Fall is approaching. Making it even more convincing to build indoors.
Temperature, and humidity also need to be considered.

I will keep out of your selection choices, as I don't have any of those canoes.

You've come to a great place for information on your build !
The Best of luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

Post by Joan and Ted »

HI Brian - have you looked at the comparison chart on our web site at this link? http://www.bearmountainboats.com/pages/ ... g-a-design
It gives you the best information.
The chart can help you determine the performance of our designs before you build.
So the Huron Cruiser with a stability factor of 92 is a boat that many people will not be comfortable paddling. If you are new to canoeing you would be better to look at designs in the 100 range.

The boats with a rating in the 90 range are traditional designs which are swift and beautiful - however you will likely need to be paddling from a kneeling position much of the time.....and for many people this is not acceptable. Most people want to sit on the seat. You have to keep your weigh low in order to feel comfortable in this canoe.
The Ranger on the other hand is a good all around choice - you can take a good load but it also handles well with one or two people paddling for a day's fishing or pleasure.Check out the photos on the Canadian Canoes website to see examples of many of our designs being built and paddled.
Keep in mind that the optimum capacity number gives you the weight range where the boat was designed to perform best - you can add more weight of course (add 100 lbs and the boat will sit 1 inch lower in the water) ......but the boat should be loaded within that range for optimum performance.
I often hear people say after paddling the Prospector 16 that it does not feel all that stable and it won't unless you have 350 lbs at least - but if they were to add a plastic collapsable jug of water to get the weight up to the 350 - 540 range it was designed for it would handle well. This is a work boat and was designed to carry a good load. Not my first choice of canoe but many people love it once they learn how to handle it.
Hope this helps - please feel free to email us directly for more information.
best regards - Joan
Joan Barrett and Ted Moores
Bear Mountain Boats
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
705-740-0470
brian

Post by brian »

Hi Jim. I'd prefer to build inside, but that 16' I have to work with is most of my living room. While I have forgiving landlords, I probably couldn't get away with knocking down bedroom walls. :thinking But I live in Alabama, where the winter weather isn't that harsh.

Hi Joan, that helps a great deal! Thank you! I did see the comparison page, but I hadn't connected it to kneeling. I think the Huron Cruiser was there more because of the name, as I have family about 2 blocks from Lake Huron's shore, and spent about a week there each summer. The Ranger sounds like a pretty good fit for what I want.

I thoroughly enjoyed Canoecraft. At first, it looked interesting, but I didn't see me able to pull it off. It slowly dawned on me that I might be able to do it. From there it snowballed until I was figuring out where it could be built and which tools I lack. Now it's the reason why there's a stack of neatly cut plywood in my kitchen (and a confused landlord.)
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Brian.
Tools are an interesting subject. Some builders are very well equipped. And others with far less, do just as good.
A skilsaw with a fence clamped to the base is the simplest, and BEST way to produce quality strips. No need to plane strips when you are done, the accuracy is so good. Your strongback works great to cut your strips on.
A router is essential for beading and coving your strips, as well as working your trim.

Good luck ! And hope we will hear more from you !

Jim
brian

Post by brian »

Hi Jim,

For the tools, I wasn't quite sure what I had. Ends up that I still need a spokeshave, just haven't run to the pawn shops in town yet. (Long shot, but maybe.)

I planned on borrowing your ideas for cutting the strips on the strongback, and running the strips between router bit and fence. In fact, I was setting up to test cut strips when it started raining. Stopped that idea pretty quick.

In the meantime, plans for the Ranger arrived. Now I'll start drawing and see how to get the most out of the plywood. Will also let me get a little bit further on my test piece, and re-reading to make sure that I'm not way off base.
brian

Post by brian »

Thank you again everyone for the suggestions. I built the Ranger, and it had its first taste of the water Saturday.

Somehow, despite my best efforts, it turned out pretty well. (And floats!) Thank you everyone for the amazing amount of help.

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Very nice looking boat, you should be proud of the result.

Every time you paddle it, you will feel a real sense of pride and accomplishment.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Pat yourself on the back !
That first canoe is a challenge, that any builder can appreciate !

Nice work and have fun paddlin !

Jim
brian

Post by brian »

Can't believe that I didn't reply.

Thanks to you both. It's been a few months now, unfortunately, it hasn't been used much. But, it seems to work incredibly well and gets comments and questions wherever I go.

Although, do these tend to multiply? A Rob Roy showed up in my backyard. Not sure exactly how this managed to happen.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

OH ! Multiply ? I'm up to 14 under my roofs ! Too bad I can't claim them as Dependents on my Income Tax !!!

I've seen beautiful canoes, that never touched water. I can't hardly wait to paddle mine !
Enjoy them !!!

Jim
brian

Post by brian »

Well, at least I'm in good company. :)

I want to use mine more, but it takes an hour or two to get to a good spot. But, I have the first hanging up in the living room, so that helps me dream.
Roel1

Post by Roel1 »

Hi all

I finished my Ranger a year ago and got the undeniable itch to maybe -just maybe- built my second canoe. Not sure about the model though. I ended up on this thread and see that I’m not the only one who can’t seem to get canoe building out of his system ;-)
Considering the Freedom 15 by the way (I’m limited in length as I need to be able to carry behind my car on a tenttrailer)…
Bearmountain 15 ft Ranger canoe
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Ive built the freedom 15. I've also built the Freedom solo. it's an awesome craft. I've also built several Freedom 17's. If you can find a way to make the 17' work, I would recommend the Freedom 17 over the 15.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Roel1 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:40 pm Hi all

I’m not the only one who can’t seem to get canoe building out of his system ;-)
Don't even Try !

Feed the Beast !

If my first canoe had come out Perfect ? I might not have kept building !
I'm still on the Quest to Build that Perfect Canoe !

Jim