The Nate Stick

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jim Dodd

The Nate Stick

Post by Jim Dodd »

Sorry for posting this here, but I thought I'd share this paddling tool, and didn't know where to post it.

On my youngest son's first BWCA canoe trip, he complained that his back was aching.
He asked me to pull over to an old beaver house, and began sorting through the sticks, until he found one the width of the gunnel, where he was sitting. Nate placed the stick between his long legs and the gunnels to support his legs and back. He and I was amazed at the instant relief he received from this.
I use this often, and have cut a stick that I use. Try it and let me know how it works for you !
here's a couple of pics.Image Image

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
alick burt

Re: The Nate Stick

Post by alick burt »

Hi Jim
I don't normally get back ache just the odd bit of cramp from staying in one position for too long and I usually switch from seat to kneeling thwart or vice versa to cure it but I will log your idea in the back of my mind and give it a go next time I am out.
I recently lowered my thwart brackets by an inch which has improved my stability and hopefully will make paddling in the wind a little easier too.
Cheers
Alick
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Alick

Next time you are out, and don't have a stick, place the shaft of your spare paddle under your legs. Put the blade on the off side. Me, I favor my left, so I put the blade on my right.
I get almost instant relief, and stability is the same, if not better.
Cheers !

Jim
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Paddling the river about every other day, collecting Black Walnuts.
Using the Nate stick a lot, and lovin it ! It works great in the mild rapids I encounter, as well as providing comfort while paddling. I forget it's there.Image
Sorry for the dirty canoe !

Jim