can these old hand cleaner containers be used with resin?

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
alick burt

can these old hand cleaner containers be used with resin?

Post by alick burt »

Hi Folks
Part question part tip as I haven't done it yet, but I am just thinking these old hand cleaner containers might make good resin dispensers. :thinking
I realize they need to be well rinsed and dried and they would also dispense the same amount per stroke so I would have to put two to one into another container but the amount would be good for mixing smaller amounts than the pumps I normally use.
Are there any thoughts /problems anyone can see with this that I am missing :thinking

Cheers :wink
Alick
Patricks Dad

Re: can these old hand cleaner containers be used with resin

Post by Patricks Dad »

It's worth a try. Note that the viscosity of the resin and hardener may be different leading to a somewhat different volume pumped per stroke but you could easily confirm if there is any issue. Also check if the pumps remain "primed" over long periods of time (you don't want to have to pump them a couple times to get a consistent amount delivered each time.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

From what I understand about the 2 part epoxies, I think the resin itself would likely be fine ... and as discussed, you can experiment to see how reproducible the dispense is ( i suggest using a scale to evaluate how consistent the dispense is).

My concern would be with the hardener, it is a lot more aggressive chemically than the resin.

Additionally, plastic can be a lot more porous than most people realize, the containers let air diffuse through the walls and some organics to diffuse out (this varies by plastic).

Have you sent this query to the manufacturer of your resin, they would likely have the best advice.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

The plastic reactivity would be my concern.
I use cheap plastic cups to mix my epoxy resin in. In one instance I poured resin in a cup. and didn't mix in any hardener. A day or two later, I found the cup leaked out the resin, all over my mixing table.

Some resins are shipped in metal containers. Might be the reason.

I'd start with a small amount, and keep them contained, incase either the hardener, or resin softens the plastic.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Thank you for your replies guys
I do find it softens my mixing cups a little sometimes.I will ask my resin manufacturer.
Cheers Alick
P.S.It comes in what look like totally ordinary plastic containers :thinking