Next Question on Plans for the "ranger 15"

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jamorgan3777

Next Question on Plans for the "ranger 15"

Post by jamorgan3777 »

I am making forms for the ranger and using the plans in the "canoecraft" book (p.51) and running into some confusion.

I am trying to make the form for the stem mold and the table values dont make sense.

WL 2" 1-02-3
WL 4" 1-03-1
WL 6" 1-03-6
WL 8" 1-04-2+
WL 10" 1-03-7+
WL 12" 1-04-1+
WL 14" 1-04-1+
WL 16" 1-03-7
WL 18" 1-04-2
WL 20" 0-09-4+

Isnt that going to make a weird form with a ripple in it? Shouldnt the values fall smoothly from smaller to larger to really small? I checked some of the other ones and they made more sense. Is this a known mistake in the book?
Patricks Dad

Re: Next Question on Plans for the "ranger 15"

Post by Patricks Dad »

Take a look here: http://web.archive.org/web/201211081136 ... estems.htm

for some errata on the Ranger 15 Stem

What version of the book are you using? It was republished in February 2015. I would have thought that these corrections would have been included in the latest version (I don't have my copy handy).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
jamorgan3777

Post by jamorgan3777 »

Thanks! I will check that out. I did some searching online and found what I think are the "updated" stem mold dimensions. Plotted them out and they made quite a bit more sense but I will definitely check these out.

I had another question. On the stem molds, there is no "profile" measurement. Does the stem mold stop at the 2" WL? Do I just extend the curve naturally through to what would be the profile?

I have drawn these up in a cad program and am going to use a wide format printer at work to try and print them out. Will be interesting to see if I can get the scales right as my cad program will not really do a 1:1 scaling.

Still looking for cedar. My closest source can get it shipped in at ~$10/bf (ouch). Figure that is about the cost of purchasing strips so I am going to keep looking.

Thanks again for the reference. I checked my copy of the book and it says "ninth printing 2015" so I would assume its the latest version. Purchased it off Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers!
jamorgan3777

Post by jamorgan3777 »

Ah, just checked. Your reference is much better. They should put that information on the new website.

Anyway, I see the sheerline measurement there. I also just assumed that the stem mold would be 3/4" lower than the peak of the station 6 mold but your ref also confirmed that.

I also see there is a station 7 mold that would be attached to the stem mold. I looked at many of the "build logs" and dont see this station on the stem mold so I am assuming its optional. I saw a couple where it looked like it was added once, then removed (at CanadianCanoe.org)

Thanks again for the ref.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

The 7th mold (attached to the stem mold) is generally considered optional. I've built with them (first build) and without (later builds). I found them to be more trouble than they were worth. I'll ask Ted to put the corrections on his list for the next printing (perhaps it was an oversight on the new printing) - the new version is much more colorful though!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com