A couple new paddles

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Patricks Dad

A couple new paddles

Post by Patricks Dad »

Here's a pic of a couple new paddles I recently built. They are 51" and 54" in length, hollow shaft (bird mouth technique), 11 degree bend, hemp seed oiled grips. Final weight: 16.05 & 16.15 oz (<460 grams each).

They were custom built to recognize "The most active fund-raiser" for a charity I work with that exposes at-risk youth to outdoor experiences.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Re: A couple new paddles

Post by Cruiser »

Lovely paddles Randy, how do you make those arcs in the paddle design?

Brian
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

The arcs are easy. I just laminated the blades as usual and then cut the arcs with a scroll-saw and then re-glued them back together with an extra layer of 1/8" cedar in between (a bit of sanding/smoothing to make the non-arc pieces line up was required). Didn't require a lot of pressure to bend the thin pieces to fit the arc.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Nice and light paddles ! How wide are the blades ?
I remember you posting about the Birds Mouth technic of building the shafts.
Seems like someone incorporated a compass in the grip also. I thought that was cool !
I'm going to have to try my hand at a paddle someday !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Jim,

If I recall correctly, the blades are 9" wide.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I figured I may as well use your post Randy, I just finished my very first paddle. Made it for the better half ....

Came out to 552 grams, which for a traditional Ottertail doesn't seem too bad ... and yes, that is glitter on the blade. I was reading my paddle making book, and they suggested a rough surface may actually be better on the blade, so adding glitter makes her happy and I will get to see how I like a roughened surface ... seems like a win win to me.

The glitter was embedded between 2 epoxy coats, just waiting for the epoxy to cure, before I do the final sanding and varnishing.

Brian