Varnish Brand

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
trevorisley

Varnish Brand

Post by trevorisley »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ever used Pettit Flagship varnish. It's seems Epifanes is the preferred brand used by builders on this forum, but I read a post indicating it may leave a yellowish tinge. The retailer I am dealing with recommends the Pettit brand, prices and tecnical data are very comparable between the two brands. I have never used either as this is my first build. Thanks for any input.
Cruiser

Re: Varnish Brand

Post by Cruiser »

Hope you are enjoying your build, you will be very satisfied when you finally get the final coat of varnish applied.

I am one of those that uses Epifanes, at first because it was recommended here and now because I like the product. I did shop around before settling and basically what I found is that almost all the marine varnishes will cast a slight golden tone. The coats are thin and it sort of softens/warms the natural wood colours, but it is not an obvious impact, just subtle. If you are told the other product won't have a colour, have them open a can and show you the product, if it is not clear, it will throw a colour. If it is clear I would be very worried about it's ability to block UV and the solids content.

I imagine there are other good brands, but I don't believe that colour is the issue you should be worried about. The varnish is there to provide UV protection, so getting a varnish high in solids and UV blockers is the criteria (and of course that killer gloss, which Epifanes has).

If this other brand is more easily available and the specs are comparable (solids, UV block and gloss), I don't think there is a compelling reason not to go ahead and try it. Worst case is you sand and redo, which is not an epic job.

Brian
trevorisley

Post by trevorisley »

Thanks Brian!

Trevor.
Denis

Post by Denis »

I have used Pettit's Flagship varnish for the last couple of years and it brushes on fine. does not need as much thinning as the other.

Denis
trevorisley

Post by trevorisley »

Thanks Denis!