Router table design ideas?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
IanC

Router table design ideas?

Post by IanC »

I am working toward a Ranger build over next winter, having built a strongback and the molds over this winter. Summer objectives will to purchase the strips and get them milled, ready for the layup in the garage over a few months, then glassing it when the weather warms up in the spring. Having finished the direct canoe work planned, I am looking at getting the garage-shop prepared. I was looking at picking up a small table saw, but am now reasonably convinced that a circular saw with a guide will produce at least comparable results in less room and using just the strongback. So scratch that step from the work plan - next up is milling the flute and beads.

I have a basement workshop with a conventional router table, and also one of the little plastic benchtop units. The basement isn't suitable for a long milling operation, and the table itself is probably overkill, so I am not inclined to move it. The benchtop model might be suitable, but workpiece support is poor. So I am thinking of building a dedicated table meant just for milling these strips. Ideally somewhat portable, as my intention would be for it to live in the garage but actually do the work outside.

So, I'd welcome any suggestions, insights, or photos of the router setup you use.
Jim Dodd

Re: Router table design ideas?

Post by Jim Dodd »

You should be happy with the skilsaw for cutting strips !I know I am !

As for routing your strips, it doesn't take an elaborate set up. Three fences to hold the strips in place.
I used to use infeed and outfeed tables, but after doing a lot of them, the fences and a couple of roller stands are all I need.

When you run your strips BETWEEN the fence and the bit, the first pass will make your strips uniform in width. In my book this is very important !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I posted a very short vid in another thread. Look at "on cutting strips."

Jim
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Ian,

I just made up a couple of simple work tables, when I can use my strongback I do, when I can't i use the 2 simple work tables.

I work out of my garage and this is a pic of the strongback with a piece of ply on top to make it the right height, and using the work table to collect the strips
From the inside:

and the outside table:

I leave a few feet between the table and supports to allow for the fact that things will never be level.

Brian
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Here's somebody who built the router right into the strongback
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3857
IanC

Post by IanC »

Really interesting idea, although I think for the feed operation I might want the router surface a little higher than the strongback. However, the strongback structure does provide a long work surface to start from.

I am thinking about making some roller mounts for infeed-outfeed, and a custom benchtop unit that fits into the central mold slots on the strongback. I have a strongback long enough for kayaks, so I can support about 9 feet on each side.

Thanks for all the input.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

A thought if you want to build a router table !
Go to a counter top, or custom cabinet shop that deals in Corian or the like countertops.
We are having a countertop installed, and they are saving the sink cut out for me. Its machineable, and should make a good router top.

Jim