amount of resin

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
RBAIRD

amount of resin

Post by RBAIRD »

I was talking to a local fiberglass supplier and he said 2 gallons of resin and harder for it was "a s__t ton of epoxy "
So I'm asking is the kit bear mountain over kill for the 17' Nomad?
How much should I get?
thanks randy
Cruiser

Re: amount of resin

Post by Cruiser »

I doubt you will use 2 gallons, I know on my projects I have lots left over. Having said that, i wouldn't want to run out in the middle of a project.

To be honest, after doing the first boat, I keep a gallon in the shop, it is just too useful to not have around.

Most places have a complete fiber glassing kit you can buy, and it's usually the best deal.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

As Brian states, better to have more, and not need it, than need it and not have it !
I buy three gallon kits, and have never regretted it !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

Thanks for the replies
I am going to add a double layer of 6oz cloth inside and out
Do you think 2 gallons is enough for the double layers?
hughhallhh56

Post by hughhallhh56 »

Well I can tell you that the amount I used on my first canoe was more than I used on the next and that was more than I used on the next....

You will have some waste the first time you glass something as big as a canoe.

Also, be prepared for something to not go right. For me it was on my second when the pumps started acting up and I had to throw out a few batches or risk putting on a bad mix.

1.3 gallons was plenty for the little Rob Roy so 2 should be fine for the 17 foot nomad. I do like to put it on thick on the last coat for the outside so I can sand it really smooth and fair.

And as others have already said, once you start using epoxy you will start using it on everything. I epoxy the gunnels, the seats, the decks... Then you start using it on the "little cedar garden planter", the broken chair, and the wife's purse.....

My current order was for 3 gallons from Raka. Putting it on a 15 foot Ranger, so yes I have plenty.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Application method comes into play.
Rollers soak up a lot of resin. I like rollers, just saying !
When I used the black foam rollers, I would use about 8 rollers per canoe.
I use the "cigar" type rollers now. I really like them, but they too soak up resin.
The squeegee SHOULD save resin.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!