Epoxy sanding

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
digger

Epoxy sanding

Post by digger »

I'm in the process of sanding the outside of the hull. It had cured for over a month. While in the first step of using 180 grit, in some spots I started seeing the pattern of the mesh. I know for sure that it is not the actual mesh. Canoecraft gets a little vague about this. I'm starting to use the 120 grit to remove the final low spots and starting to see more of the mesh. Do I continue working those areas till the pattern is gone or just leave those areas alone? Will those mesh areas show through the clear coat?

Thanks
Cruiser

Re: Epoxy sanding

Post by Cruiser »

You are at the sanding stage so you have to push ahead regardless, CanoeCraft says you will likely see the mesh pattern, but you need to be careful not to go to far, that at that point you are very close to the fiberglass.

If any of those areas are mesh it will definitely show when you varnish .... not a good thing, as the builder it will be the only thing you ever look at.

If you have any doubts about this stage, you always have the option of just doing a "finish" epoxy coat. I have done this and it really isn't much extra work or weight. I usually wash the hull, let dry, roll on a fresh epoxy coat and tip off with a brush. This coat will be nearly perfect and have a high gloss and few imperfections ( you have sanded them all out). A light sanding with 120 and you are ready to proceed.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Digger ?
What epoxy did you use?
How many fill coats ?
How did you apply the fill coats.

First off, it sounds like not enough fill coats.
Stop when you see the weave ! If you keep on sanding, the next thing you will see is wood.

I have places on my hulls where cloth is overlapped, and while they are visible when sanding, they virtually vanish when coated with varnish.

I'd be tempted to add an extra layer of cloth, below the waterline, if this is where you are getting into the weave.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
digger

Post by digger »

I now realize that I sanded too much in an effort to remove the little "low spots" that show through. I like the idea of doing a final finish coat of epoxy. Is there a risk to just rolling on a coat in just the areas where then pattern of the weave is showing through or is it just better to recoat the entire hull? I'm more concerned about the looks and not the weight.

An a final note, should I not worry about the remaining dots of gloss showing through? Will those disappear during the varnish stage?
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I prefer to just do the hull, no blending, no worries about different looks ... I am all about easy and good looking, lol ... with a roller it takes very little time to go over the hull.

When you sand the finish coat go straight to 120 or 150 and just take the shine off (if you have a heavy sanding hand, go to 150) ... you are no longer leveling or rough sanding.

Brian