Inches

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Camel driver

Inches

Post by Camel driver »

Living in France means that I work in millimetres. Inches are a novelty to me.
Looking at the tables of dimensions in the canoe craft book I see lengths described as
1-09-4+.
I take it this means 1 foot, 9 inches, but is the fraction a decimal fraction or in eighths.?
I assume they are eighths as I can't see any -9 anywhere.
Similarly the + indicates not an exact measurement but a little more?.

One day I might create a plan all in metric!

Thank you in advance....
Stephen

Re: Inches

Post by Stephen »

You've got it pretty well figured out. 1-09-4 means 1 foot, 9 inches and 4 eighths. + means to add 1 sixteenth to 4 eighths. So 1-09-4+ means 1 foot, 9 and 9/16 inches.

If you are using an edition of Canoecraft published between 2000 and 2015, you need to know that there are a few errors in the dimension tables. You can find the corrections here: http://web.archive.org/web/201211081136 ... estems.htm

Finally, if you plan to convert the tables of heights and half-breadths (and stems) in Canoecraft to metric, I think I would use a spreadsheet program. I'd enter feet, inches, eighths and sixteenths in four separate columns, use a formula in a fifth column to convert that to inches and convert that measurement to metric in a sixth column. So every station would need six columns in the spreadsheet. Doing it this way you can enter the numbers just like they are in the book (except use 1 or 0 for the presence or absence of "+") and then proof-read them all very carefully. This should reduce the chances of error a lot.
Camel driver

Post by Camel driver »

Thank you for that, four eighths does sound odd when 1/2 inch would be easier?

As for a metric conversion I was thinking of a canoe designed around the metric system rather than a straight conversion i.e 300mm between stations etc.
sedges

get a English measuring ruler

Post by sedges »

I really think it would be easier to just get a English rule for the project. Its not less accurate, just different.

As for finding canoe plans in metric, there may be some, but you won't have many to choose from. Consider that the type of canoes you are interested in building pretty much developed in non-metric cultures. Even in Canada, a metric country, boatbuilding is still a non-metric activity. Heck, there are still recently printed maps of major wilderness canoe areas in North America that give portage lengths in rods!

There have been some canoe designs coming from Scandinavian designers recently so you might have some luck looking there.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Just in case you decide to loft your your plans, I did that last year and posted it here, including what the measurements mean and examples.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4658

Brian