New Solo Canoe - Freedom 15'3" and 16'2"

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Cruiser

Re: New Solo Canoe - Freedom 15'3" and 16'2"

Post by Cruiser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:35 pm

Just finished another milestone, bottom is closed ... tomorrow I will remove all the clamps on the bottom and start putting on the last few planks to the sheer line.

Once those are on, I will likely design and build a set of wheels to attach to the strong back, so I can do the sanding in the driveway ... that should save a lot dust in the shop.

Still hoping I may make the water this year ... although it may be pretty cold.

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:49 am

Guess a pic would be better

Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:57 am

Looks good! You're moving pretty fast!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:17 am

Heading out to figure out best way to do the bottom planks to the sheerline .... that should be fun

Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:02 am

Interested !
The shouldered tumblehome has always put me off on this design, and others built this way.
Staples would help, but that's not an option.
Anxious to read your solution.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:53 am

Hi Jim,

This was my first boat and first time in the forums, the rest of the build continues under the project directories ( building forum wasn't the right place for it).

The question you are asking isn't there though, in fact I had to go looking to see if I had a pic.

I had "softened" the actual tumblehome profile by rounding the square edges as Randy suggested in his build and that seemed to make a lot of sense to me, plus it worked out very well. I started stripping with three 1/2" strips, bracketing the actual tumblehome bend and left the strips from there to the shear until I completed the rest of the stripping. I highly recommend using the smaller strips around the bend, as it really makes the sharp turn pretty straight forward.

The solution for the post you queried was to use the standard "tape it", although I did use fiber tape which is a little more aggressive and can be pulled tighter.

I also used the standard "L" wood brackets to keep the strips tight to the moulds, there weren't many strips, so it wasn't too fiddly.

Brian

fanoplane

Post by fanoplane » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi All,

I started building a Freedom 15'3" a little over a month ago. Now that the molds and strongback are finished, I am getting ready to begin planking in the next week or two. I've decided to stick with the chine in the plans, but now I want to make sure I understand how to plank it. When Steve Killing was putting the design together, there was a post where he described how he would go about planking it (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1885&p=11592&hilit= ... olo#p11634), but unfortunately the corresponding picture is gone.

From the description, I drew up what I think is a reasonable approach? I am planning to begin with the plank that has the bead at the chine, and after becoming comfortable with the planking process (this is my first build), come back to the other strip at the chine with most of the inside cove removed. If there are any suggestions about a changes that should be made to get started, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!
Cooper

Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Cooper, your picture is not visible....

edited: But I can now see the drawing by clicking on your link. I think that will work. Steve's original guidance is to add a filet of thickened epoxy on the inside of the sharpest portion of the chine. This will add strength and make glassing easier (this is probably important).

When I built this design, I started by taking the sharp corner off the form at the chine leaving a 3/8" flat spot for a narrow strip. This allowed for a somewhat larger radius at the chine, a softer curve and no need for an inside filet. I think the chine as designed is too sharp. It will only cause problems. It will be harder to glass (but of course not impossible). The sharp chine will also attract dings and banged knuckles.

best of luck on your build!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:15 pm

For my build i went with the 16'3" option and I don't regret that for a minute. I also listened to Randy's suggestion and took the sharp corner off by creating the 3/8" flat spot he mentions.

I took it a step further and did a few 1/2" strips ( bass and red cedar) and used those to strip around the chine and create an accent at the same time. The narrower strips aren't hard to make, but I believe they made the stripping around the sooo much easier.

Don't forget, you have to finish what you create, and a hard edge like that is hard to sand, hard to glass and in general will likely be a lot of extra work to get tit to look good.

Brian

fanoplane

Post by fanoplane » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks Randy and Brian for the advice. I read this thread a month ago and I missed the point about glassing which seems like a good reason to round the corners. I took some strip offcuts and made a replica of the chine of the center station, adding the chamfer, to test out the approach. Looks really good, and will definitely be easier to work with!

Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:10 pm

I have a bunch of pictures of my Freedom Solo build at the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ed02c625b8

There are a couple in there showing my build of the chine...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:39 am

Close up of the first 2 chine strips, plus the flat to soften the angle:

Brian