Paddleboard Plans?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Moonman

Paddleboard Plans?

Post by Moonman »

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has come across some good paddleboard plans. Maybe something Ted/Steve are contemplating? The missus has been asking...

Thanks,

Moonman.
pfaurschou

Re: Paddleboard Plans?

Post by pfaurschou »

Hi there,
I have found and ordered some paddleboard plans from Cedar Boat Works (cedarboatworks.com) and they have several designs and kits on their site. HOWEVER, I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYBODY purchase anything from this site!

I placed an order in the first week of October 2015 for 2 full paddleboard kits. They were supposed to contain all lumber and materials including epoxy, cloth, and varnish. After not hearing anything for 8 weeks, I contacted Donald at Cedar Boat Works. On December 20, 2015 I received some of the lumber. The shipping box was damaged and the strips were barely contained within the box. I contacted Cedar Boat Works to ask about missing materials and was told they would be shipped 'soon'. In mid february, I received the CNC moulds and fiberglass cloth. To date I still have not received the epoxy, varnish, or other supplies such as brushes etc that were listed in the kits. I left several messages and sent several emails and Donald has stopped replying to my messages. Even at the beginning, it would often take weeks to hear back from him. I now feel like he took my money and ran and would advise against anybody throwing your money away to this man!

Poor customer service, non responsive to inquiries, items are not as described, and overpriced!

He also sells plans starting at $100 which would probably give you the necessary information to produce your own board - that is if he actually ships you the purchased plans, but at least you are only risking $100. I spent over $1500 and never received half the materials.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

@pfaurschou

I found this on the Cedar Boat Works Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/CedarBoatWorks ... 2590354536
Note to Cedar Boat Works friends & customers from Don:

Being a small, family-owned business that prides itself on craftsmanship and personal service, it has been difficult since this winter I have had a complex surgery and also dealt with the subsequent recovery but there is good news, I'm 99% recovered! One of the most difficult parts of this surgery has been that I had found a partner I thought was capable to handle the orders & fulfillment when I was out. Let's just say they didn't deliver as expected. There have been some very delayed orders and orders shipped that have not been up to our usual standards. I want to assure everyone the issues have been fixed and you can expect any Cedar Boat Works products to be shipped on time and of the quality craftsmanship we are known for.
If you have any questions, please reach out. Thank you, Don
It sounds like a small businessman who was hit by both bad health and bad help. I would hope that if you contacted him again your problems would be addressed.
pfaurschou

Post by pfaurschou »

Hi Stephen,

FYI I email and phone(leave a voicemail the phone is never answered) the company every 2 weeks. I have yet to receive a reply since January......don't trust this company!
smusg

Post by smusg »

I am new to this site and just saw this post. I built a stitch and glue Koholo 14 from CLC boats a couple of years ago and it is great.