cane seats 2

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

cane seats 2

Post by WMegl »

Let's try this link to Photobucket. Cruiser, thanks for the suggestion.

I have finished one Green Valley Boat Works cane seat and if anyone is interested, here's the Photobucket link to some pictures (probably too many). I have not yet varnished this seat. On the second one, I will varnish the walnut frame prior to caning.

http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/WMegl ... ne%20seats
First Timer
Morecowbell

Re: cane seats 2

Post by Morecowbell »

Beautiful work. If you have a chance I'd love to know what they end up weighing.

Thanks,

Clay
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Thanks for sharing that photo journey, it pretty much explains how you made them, very good work.

Walnut .... they will be beautiful, Clay will certainly be drooling .... although they will weigh a bit.

I know those are the Greenval plans, but I can't help thinking that a light counter sink on the holes would ease the transition out of the holes. I haven't worked with cane, have no idea of its flexibility, so please consider that a question .... what do you think?

Brian
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Clay: Thanks for the comments. I don't have anything but a bathroom scale. By standing on the scale with and without the finished seat, one weighs 2.5 lbs.

Brian: Thank you for your comments. I did countersink each hole 1/16 in. on both sides. On the 3rd page of pictures on photobucket, I think it's the 4th picture that shows the holes to the left of my chuck as being countersunk, and the holes to the right as not being done yet. I soaked the cane for several minutes in warm water with some glycerin per the directions. This together with the countersink worked well.

Wayne
First Timer
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

I would be interested in knowing the weight of the seats Ted has in "Canoecraft".
First Timer
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

A bit under 3 pounds. Here's a link to a (long) post on the Redbird my son and I built following Canoecraft. It includes a table that provides the weight as we went along...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1515&p=9058&hilit=#p9058
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

What I can see looks very good, but for some reason while it says there should be 65 images, the highest numbered one it will deign to show me is 48.
Alan
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

65 pictures?? There should be 5 albums there with over 200 per album...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

The link I sent should direct you to an album that has 65 pictures.

Patricks Dad: Thank you for the link. Good information.
First Timer