My "Prospecter Ranger" build

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
brooks

My "Prospecter Ranger" build

Post by brooks »

I want to thank all in this forum for your posts and feed back. I would have been lost without them. Its been 1 year and 8 months since I started this build and I can now say it is finished. Here is my Ranger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eW-Keo ... e=youtu.be
Jim Dodd

Re: My "Prospecter Ranger" build

Post by Jim Dodd »

Nice work Peter !

The next one won't take you as long, or be as expensive to build !

Congratulations ! Give yourself a pat on the back !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
brooks

Post by brooks »

Thanks Jim That means a lot. The build was fun but the resin and cloth was a big challenge. I have never tried it before but I read every post on the subject and learned a lot in the actual process. I think I am going to try the " Rice Lake Skiff "next. It looks versatile and I like to row. Thanks again pwb
brian

Post by brian »

Wow! Your Ranger looks great!

I'm about halfway through stripping my Ranger, seeing yours has provided some much appreciated inspiration.
brooks

Post by brooks »

Thanks Brian I didn't use the staple application and it took me over 2 months to strip it out. I enjoyed every bit of it. The gunwales were prebent because the mahogany would not follow the sheer. I also used titebond 3 on every part of the Ranger. You can't find a better forum than this one. I'm always reading the posts on what ever step I am working on at that moment. I even called the west systems help line to pick there brain on applying the cloth. Enjoy the build. pwb
hughhallhh56

Post by hughhallhh56 »

She is a beauty. Have you had her out yet? I am thinking to start a Ranger in a few weeks myself. I need another two seats for when the kids come back next summer and thought the Ranger would be a good one.

Hugh
brooks

Post by brooks »

Thanks Hugh,
I hope to take it out this Saturday. The weather will be great and the lake will be calm.
ptsmith

Post by ptsmith »

Brooks,

SUPER impressed with the build - top notch work. I was pouring through some topics as an outcome of a search for stapleless advice and came across your post. There are several shots shown in your video that I had to pause and learn from...
What I stared at longest were your decks - 1) because I love them! I'm inspired... trying to plan what I want to do with mine (although they're a long way off). 2) because I can't figure out how you did them.

I respect that you may not want to divulge, but I have to ask - can you share some details of your process and materials? I've been looking for something to really draw inspiration from regarding decks, and your build is definitely "it."

Thanks!
Patrick
brooks

Post by brooks »

ptsmith Patrick I just received your post and I want to thank you for your interest. I poured alot of thought into every step of my build and would be happy to share any construction details I might have. I dont know any other way to show you except with pictures that I left out of the slide show. Unfortunately I am not savvy to there picture posting on this site. If there is a way to send you some pictures by email or call by phone that would be no problem. I cant stand typing. Pete
ptsmith

Post by ptsmith »

Brooks/Pete,

That'd be awesome! Let's try email and see if the pictures help!
I'll try to PM you my email.

Patrick
brooks

Post by brooks »

Patrick I could send some pictures but you have to message me your email. I can tell you that my deck was built in place and the design was taken from the deck of an old Hackercraft or Chriscraft Runabout. Planks with a caulking joint between. I milled my deck planks to 1/4 inch by 1 1/2 and the Dark walnut was 1/4 by 3/16. The deck beams were placed at the last three frame positions. Each beam had a matching crown and I started planking from the center out. I already had the outside perimeter walnut glued in place over the sheerline of the cedar leaving the outer gunwales exposed. The radius was calculated to run into the the inner hull line where ever it landed and that beam was built with the radius cut into it. I then glued vertical walnut around the radius. Thats about it. Good Luck on your build. brooks
hughhallhh56

Post by hughhallhh56 »

Nice decks. The last two canoes I built were done in production mode, completed in a few months. The current one is a Ranger and well, it is going slowly. I too am adding some big decks, but with a bulkhead and a deck plate.

Need to have it completed by June 15th as the daugthers are arriving from Texas and I would like to have enough seats to have all of them fishing some kokanee.