Installing the thwart.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
phmiller

Installing the thwart.

Post by phmiller »

Hi to those experienced builders. I have a query regarding the installation of the thwart across the centre of the canoe. I built a number of prospector canoes several years ago and currently am working on a Ranger. Fitting the thwart is something that I find most tricky as there are several angles to consider.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions ? I have read Ted Moores Canoecraft from cover to cover a number of times and find his instructions very clear. Nevertheless when it comes to fitting the thwart find my technique somewhat lacking. Despite careful measurement and re checking of the measurements I have found with the final fitting of the thwart I have come up slightly short. It hasn't mattered of course because the canoe sides are flexible enough, even with the gunnels in place that they can be pulled in to close the gap.

I have attempted to send a picture with this post to illustrated the angles etc that I have contend with, however at this stage my attempts have been unsuccessful. However, if anyone would care to forward an email address I can send a picture that way.

It would be pleasing to receive any suggestions so I await any replies with the utmost interest.

Regards Patrick Miller.
Patricks Dad

Re: Installing the thwart.

Post by Patricks Dad »

You can send me some pictures

Randy.pfeifer1@gmail.com

Do you have a place where your pictures are stored that can be accessed via a URL? If so, you can simply click the "Img" button when writing your post and put the link into the text that is generated and the pictures will appear in your post.

You can use any photo hosting service that allows access to photos online (I use facebook).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I swapped to Google ...

- upload photo to Google
- click on pic in Google
- right click, select copy image location

Swap to forum, open post

- select [Img] tab
- Ctr V to paste in the link

As Randy said, that process is the same for most hosting sites.

As far as fitting the thwart, it really is easier to help if we can see what you are doing, there are several ways to fit them.

Brian
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm guessing you end up a bit short because of how you are marking the "roll" angle (I'm guessing you have both a yaw and a roll to worry about to match the orientation of the gunwale). If you just set the pre-cut thwart on the gunwales it will be ~3/4" above it's final resting place. If you just lay a straight edge on the inside of the inwale and draw a line across the edge of the thwart (top to bottom) it will have the correct angle but will be short because when the thwart is lowered to the plane of the inwales you haven't taken into account for the angle of the line you drew. Imagine if the thwart were marked with the thwart sitting a foot or two above the gunwales. That drawn line would be well into the space inside the canoe leaving the thwart extremely short. You just need to compensate for the fact that you are marking the angle with the thwart above the plane of the gunwales rather than on that plane. Hope that helps.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Patrick
I too wish I had a pic to show, but you could cut a 1/4" spline in the ends of the thwart. cross ways, and glue in a piece of hardwood. This would beef up the thwart, where your bolt goes through.
You could actually make the thwart wider this way, and it wouldn't be visible.

Again I wish I had a pic for you !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Just reread this query .... you are saying fitting the thwart, but you are talking middle of the canoe, are asking about fitting a thwart or the yoke?

It makes some difference.

Brian
phmiller

Post by phmiller »

A quick thank you to those who replied to my post. I'm digesting the information. Regards Patrick.