Redbird station 8

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Canoe395100

Redbird station 8

Post by Canoe395100 »

I have a question regarding the Redbird and station 8. I'm shaping the stem now and when running my fairing strip along stations 6,7,8 to the stem, in order for the fairing strip to make contact with station 8, I have to push it in about 1/8". Is it supposed to make contact naturally or am I supposed to push it in a little?

The proudest point on my station 8 sits 2" from the center line of the stem. Any help would be appreciated!
Cruiser

Re: Redbird station 8

Post by Cruiser »

Welcome to the Canoe forum ... up front I will say that pictures really help us help you, sometimes explanations are clear to the poster because they can see the issue ...not so for the folks reading.

When you say you are using stations 6,7,8 to help shape the stems ... it kind of raises a flag that we may not be talking the same terms, usually it is the first couple of stations that are used for shaping the stems. Stations 6,7,8 are near the canoe middle ... can't see how they would be useful in shaping the stems.

Also ... did you loft the plans or are you following plans?

If you have a fairing strip on say 4, 5, 6, 7 and look at 8, it won't hit 8 ... it will always be on a bend at that point. If you want to see if 8 is fair, you will need to bracket it before and after, say 6,7,8,9 ... if it doesn't touch, then maybe there is an issue with one of the stations ... not necessarily 8.

A bit more info would help us figure out what is going on.

Brian
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Brian
Stations 6,7,8 are near the canoe middle ... can't see how they would be useful in shaping the stems.
This is true for an asymmetric canoe such as the Freedom, which I know you've built, but not for the Redbird described in the post. If you check a symmetric canoe in Canoecraft, you will find the centre station is 0. On either side of that are two identical station 1's, followed by two station 2's and ending usually with station 8's at bow and stern.

The Freedom has to start with station 0 at the bow and go to station 16 at the stern because there is no time-saving symmetry to take advantage of.

Hope this helps.

Stephen
Canoe395100

Post by Canoe395100 »

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the confusion...I do have a few pics that may help.

It may be hard to see but in order for the batten to make contact with station 8 I have to push it in, making the batten slightly concave. It's not much, probably 1/8” - 3/16” but it does curve the batten.

Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I built the redbird as my first build.

The bow and stern are indeed symmetric. Station 8, if fully followed will (as you note) create a slight concavity in the hull between the stem and station 7.

Your experience is familiar. Many builders ignore station 8 on this design. I installed it but generally ignored it's contribution to life.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Thanks Stephen, I didn't realize that.

Canoe,
Did you check the other end to see if the same condition exists there?

If you are building from plans, I would check station 8 (the last one before the stem) against the plans ... if you are building from from lofting tables, check for updates/corrections. I am not suggesting there is an error, just that it's better to catch an issue now before you start stripping, this is the time to stop and check if something doesn't look right.

I know Randy on this forum built one and I hope he chimes in here, he can provide first hand knowledge ...

Brian
Canoe395100

Post by Canoe395100 »

Thanks Brian and Randy. Sounds like this is normal. Since all the stations follow a natural curve, it threw me that this one had to be pushed into place. I was going to try to avoid staples but I may rethink that.

The same gap exists on both ends of the canoe. Also, I'm working off of the plans from Bear mountain. I will go ahead and start the stripping.

Thanks again for chiming in.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I would not switch to staple building in order to get the slight concavity on station 8. I'd just ignore it.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

It's not very difficult to get that shape with stapleless.

Just use a couple of the "L" shaped brackets, one at the bottom where the sheer is, and one as you move up ... secure the strip with wedges, works well and isn't too time consuming.

This what I use to start the strips for my current solo build:

This was the setup for my Freedom 17 tandem build ... the brackets are pretty flexible.

I am sure you get the idea from the photos.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

As Randy has stated, just ignore station 8 .
You could easily rectify the situation, by simply moving station 8 forward, maybe only a half inch. 1/8"inch gap at that point will not effect the canoe !
If you are planning to go stapleless, It won't matter, as you couldn't easily clamp a strip to 8 .

Good to ask first than to find out the hard way later !

Good luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!