Length of Strongback?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
GraMac

Length of Strongback?

Post by GraMac »

Just about to dive head first in to my first ever canoe build – I have, after much deliberation, chosen the Cottage Cruiser.
Forgive the nativity of my question but, how long should the Strongback be for a 15’6” canoe.
Many thanks.
Graham - United Kingdom.
Jim Dodd

Re: Length of Strongback?

Post by Jim Dodd »

It will depend on how you cut your forms !

If you cut them so the stems are above the base line, and your forms resemble mushrooms. Make it as long as the canoe, or even longer.

I cut my forms so the stems are below the base line. This Is how I got started, It saves a lot of plywood, when cutting form. But requires the strongback to be matched to the length, of the design.

So in general terms. My forms require a strongback to be roughly 16" shorter than the canoe I'm building ..

Hope that helps !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I think 16’ is pretty much the standard length ... if you don’t have copy ofCanoeCraft, ithas a lot of this info, including the plans for the stronback. may be worth grabbing a copy.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Build it 16' and cut your forms so they are above the strongback. You can build it easily out of 8' sheets of plywood (see Canoecraft as Brian suggests).

You shouldn't custom build your strongback for your (first) canoe. You'll need it for the next canoe you build (you can't stop at just one).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Patricks Dad wrote:Build it 16' and cut your forms so they are above the strongback. You can build it easily out of 8' sheets of plywood (see Canoecraft as Brian suggests).

You shouldn't custom build your strongback for your (first) canoe. You'll need it for the next canoe you build (you can't stop at just one).
Absolutely ! One is just not enough !!!

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
GraMac

Post by GraMac »

Many thanks All.
Graham