Form placement question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Morecowbell

Form placement question

Post by Morecowbell »

I just want to be sure I have this right: the boat I'm building (Kipawa) has the forms at 12" intervals. The center form straddles the center line but the other forms are placed so that the side of the form toward the bow or stern is on the line. Other than the center form, the forms do not straddle the spacing lines, they are placed on the side of the form line that is towards the center of the boat. Is that correct?
Last edited by Morecowbell on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morecowbell

Re: Form placement question

Post by Morecowbell »

...and because this boat is an asymmetrical design, the middle form is form 8 but the widest form (highest point) is form 9. So it seems that form 9 should be the one that straddles the line...???

:thinking
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I'm not familiar with the Kipawa, but That has been how I set the forms,on every canoe I've built, unless I'm trying to stretch a design.

What do your plans say ?

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Thanks Jim - also confirmed from another source. Not sure why that baffled me except that I got it in my head early on that all the forms would be centered on the 12" interval. Not a huge issue I'm sure but thanks for the help.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

That is right MCB ... the Kipawa was my 2016 build
themrbruceguy

Post by themrbruceguy »

Was browsing the forum and thought I'd give this a read. Made me realize I set up my forms on the opposite side of the line on accident.. ugh..

Any of the experienced guys have concerns about this mistake? Or will the canoe still paddle and feel fine? I'd hate to redo my planking progress, but if it makes a large difference I would.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

"Big difference" is sorta in the hands of the builder, as to what that constitutes and what impact is acceptable to them.

If what you are saying is that the form is on one side of the line instead of the other (basically, this means the form is one form thickness out), I think I would just forge ahead, knowing there is a difference and realizing the impact will likely be small. However, if you mean the wrong side of the form block, that is a little more of a concern, as the form is quite a bit further from design. I am assuming you are talking about shifting all the forms ~.5" (one side of the line to the other), if that is not the case, post with how far out they are, please.

If you only have a few strips on and it is going to bug you, then sacrifice the strips and adjust the forms.

In general, since all forms are impacted you are going to get a small narrowing of the boats profile going aft and fore, it won't be a lot and I suspect you would never notice it if you weren't the builder.

My opinion,

Brian
themrbruceguy

Post by themrbruceguy »

Hey Brian,

Correct, all forms are technically ~0.5" away from their intended position. I will probably take this as a learning lesson and soldier on, haha. Thank you for your input.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Take your time and enjoy the build ...post your progress and ask as you need.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Bruce

Not to worry ! You will not be able to tell the difference once you get it in the water !

The only slight difference you Might note, is at the stems.
Beings you essentially stretched your canoe stations, you should also stretch the end forms, roughly an inch at each end.
I'm guessing you didn't. Looking at the hull. do you notice an outward bend, of your strips, at the station attached to the stems ? If not, don't worry about it ! If you do ! Still don't worry about it !

You just learned, by making a mistake ! We All do !

Good luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
themrbruceguy

Post by themrbruceguy »

Haha! Thanks Brian and Jim :) I will definitely remember that mistake for next time. (Hopefully there is a canoe #2 at some point in the future). It's been a great amount of fun working on it, and I'm finally getting to the stage of applying strips! So much prep work and it feels nice to finally be crafting the actual boat. And the neighbors really enjoy seeing the progress when they walk by haha.

Thanks,
~ Jake